After months of rumors, HTC DROID Eris gets Android 2.1 updateTaylor Martin - Member
This is a very good day for those of you with a Droid Eris on Verizon (well yesterday was for some of you). The roll out process for the 2.1 update for the Eris began late yesterday and is finally hitting the masses today. The 2.1 update will be pushed to your phone and will update OTA. You can manually check if your update has come and you accidentally dismissed it by going to "Settings," scrolling down to "About phone," and clicking the first option, "System software updates."
This update is set out to fix some known bugs and improve overall performance:
- Pinch-to-zoom is now available when using the Gallery and Google Maps.
- New support for voice-to-text entry.
- New Leap thumbnail view lets you pinch to jump between the seven panels on your home screen.
- Additional calendar views and easier access to contacts make navigating even quicker.
- Google Maps with Navigation provides free, traffic-enhanced, turn-by-turn navigation.
- With the Enhanced Android Market,™ you’ll enjoy a better browsing experience as well as even more applications, including
- Verizon Wireless content featuring self-service applications.
- Ability to log onto and access multiple Google accounts at once.
- Support for 19 Microsoft® Exchange Server policies makes your phone more secure and business friendly.
- Desk Clock intelligently dims your screen and displays the current time while charging.
- Location-based cinematic full screen weather keeps you on top of changing conditions.
- Free Yahoo!® Mail is now supported—simply sign in with your Yahoo! email address and password.
- Longer battery life due to power savings.
- Improved YouTube® video playback.
- Better Bluetooth® support, including contact transfer.
- Automatic settings for POP3 verizon.net email accounts.
- Added support for stand-alone Wi-Fi when device is in airplane mode.
- Improved handset audio when disconnecting a wired headset.
- Faster power-up time.
- Improved swipe-unlock functionality.
- Added support for Microsoft Office 2007 documents.
Hopefully you all will get your sweet, sweet taste of Eclair sooner rather than later. Eris users, welcome to the Android 2.1 party! For those of you that have updated, how is the performance?