T-Mobile to introduce tethering plan on Nov. 3rd for $14.99?Alex Wagner - Editorial Director of News and Content
T-Mobile may be introducing some new data plans and the myTouch 4G/HD on November 3rd, but now we've learned that the carrier has something else up its sleeve. According to a leaked memo, T-Mobile will begin offering the Tethering and WiFi Sharing Add-On on November 3rd for $14.99 per month. The new feature will allow users to share their existing 5GB data with other computers and WiFi capable devices. In order to begin tethering and sharing your wireless connection, you'll need both an unlimited data plan $19.95 or higher and a 3G or HSPA+ device. Check out the leaked memo in its entirety down below.
While some users may be disappointed that they have to pay for tethering, especially when the feature is built into the newest versions of Android, the price is certainly better than what some other carriers are offering. For example, AT&T charges customers $20 for the ability to tether with an iPhone, and even then you're limited to only 2GB of data. What do you all think of T-Mobile's new feature? Should you have to pay extra to tether if you're using data from your existing plan? Are any of you planning to sign up for the Tethering and WiFi Sharing Add-On?
Tethering and Wi-Fi Sharing Add-On Feature Launches November 3
On November 3, T-Mobile will launch a tethering and Wi-Fi sharing add-on feature. This feature will allow customers to use their phone as a modem, enabling them to connect a computer or Wi-Fi capable device to the Web using our 3G or HSPA+ network.
By adding this add-on feature, which will cost $14.99/month, customers will gain access to the Web when they are on the go and wherever T-Mobile has coverage. Although most customers will use their laptop to access our network through their device, they will also be able to connect using any Wi-Fi capable device, like gaming devices, non-T-Mobile tablets like the iPad, and music players. Customers can make the phone-as-modem connection using a USB cable, Bluetooth, or Wi-Fi sharing.
- Customers must have a 3G or HSPA+ compatible device to utilize the Tethering/Wi-Fi sharing feature.
- Customers must have an Unlimited Web feature with an MRC of $19.95 or higher.
- Customers must add the $14.99 Tethering/Wi-Fi add-on feature.
- This is a separate add-on feature and in addition to the Unlimited Web feature.
- Available for postpaid and FlexPay customers. Note: FlexPay customers will need to change their Unlimited Web feature in order for the new tethering add-on feature to work.
- Tethering/Wi-Fi sharing will be ideal for customers who:
- Need occasional access to the Web using a PC or other device.
- Want a connection to the Web on-the-go, wherever T-Mobile has coverage.
- Don’t see the need or want the expense of a complete mobile broadband experience, like T-Mobile’s webConnect. Note: customers who intend to use their laptops to access the Web frequently, or use a high amount of data, should consider a webConnect plan.
- Customers who purchase a T-Mobile mobile broadband product like the upcoming Galaxy Tab should activate with a webConnect plan to ensure the best experience.
- The set-up process will be determined by the type of device customers own and will be different for every manufacturer.
- The data accumulated while tethering will count towards customers’ 5GB data speed reduction threshold limit.
- Because T-Mobile Terms & Conditions have not permitted tethering in the past, those customers who have configured their device for tethering will receive a message on their handset advising them they will need to add the new add-on feature to continue using their device as a modem.
- Be aware dealers can begin selling the Tetherng/Wi-Fi add-on feature beginning November 3.
- Review the Grab & Go for additional information.
- Beginning November 3, refer to policy pages: T-MobileNews > In-Store Polices and Procedures