If you're a proud owner of a Motorola CLIQ, you will be pleased to know that a MOTOBLUR filled Eclair update is waiting on you to download. You may remember the rumor saying you would be getting the 2.1 update soon, and the wait has paid off as this update is packed full of goodies. If you aren't a fan of MOTOBLUR, I'm sure there is a stock 2.1 ROM still floating around, but I advise you to stick to official updates unless you know what you're doing.
The update is available to everyone and will need to be downloaded manually through Motorola's update page for the CLIQ, just follow the step-by-step instructions after. The update is done by placing the update file on the SD card of your phone, which is a new method coming from a manufacturer. Personally, I find this a little easier than downloading and installing software on your computer just to update your phone. It will take you about 25 minutes to complete the process.
While it isn't Froyo and we're not even sure if the CLIQ will ever see that tasty frozen treat, enjoy the Eclair all the same and soak in the major update. The differences that you can expect after upgrading are:
- More Google apps – Google Speech-to-Text, Google Turn-by-Turn Navigation, Google Voice Search and others have been added to make your CLIQ even more functional
- New Android Market – Access to a larger range of apps specifically designed for devices using Android 2.1 or later
- Improved multimedia apps – Media Gallery and Connected Music Player have been enhanced for better interaction with your media
- Enhanced Home Screen
- Widget Enhancements
- New Widgets
- Messaging Enhancements
- Push Corporate Email and Corporate Directory
- The phone now supports up to 7 home screens.
- Happenings and Messaging widget content can be filtered with new customizable filters (e.g. contact group).
- Widgets can be resized on the home screen by touching and holding a widget until a vibration is felt, then dragging the corners to expand or shrink.
- Calendar widget distinguishes personal and work appointments with
- Contact Quick Tasks allows you to easily access your favorite contacts by using a widget you customize for your home screen.
- Date and Time displays the time (in digital or analog) and date on your home screen.
- Device Toggle makes it easy to turn on/off frequently used functions on your phone (Bluetooth, GPS, Wi-Fi, etc.).
- Sticky Note allows you to save a quick little note on the home screen.
- Email multi-select is available in every email account.
- The phone now supports having more than one Gmail account.
- Corporate email can be pushed immediately to you.
- Global Address List to find co-workers’ email addresses.
- Google Enhancements New versions of the following are included: Gmail, Google BrowserTM,
- Google CalculatorTM, Google Calendar and Sync, Enhanced Google
- SearchTM from Google Search Bar TM, and YouTubeTM.
- New features include: PlacesTM, Google TalkTM, Google TalkbackTM, and
- Speech to Text.
- Google MapsTM Updates Google Maps now supports turn-by-turn navigation.
- Auto-complete feature uses your personal search history on Google Maps to make it easy to map recently searched locations.
- Synchronization allows starred items to be shared between Google Map and maps.google.com.
- Connected Music Player The Connected Music Player application includes the following:
- Synchronized Lyrics in 45 languages, Music Videos, SongID, Automatic
- Album Art, Internet Radio Stations, Facebook & Twitter & SMS Status
- Updates, and ability to buy and download songs from Amazon MP3.
- Consolidated Media Gallery
- Task Manager
- Other New Features
- Motorola Media Gallery consolidates photos and videos into one gallery and includes new editing features.
- New feature provides information about programs running on your phone, eliminating the need for 3rd party task manager apps.
- This software upgrade also includes the following: improved Android
- Market layout, Performance/Task Manager, Contact Manager, Battery
- Manager, new Unlock Screen, Bluetooth printing, enhanced Alarm Clock with Timer, and improved RSS Feeds for Android Browser.
Phew, if you read through all of that, I congratulate you. Enjoy your updated phone!