Samsung Fascinate Android 2.2 update begins rolling out tomorrow [UPDATED]Alex Wagner - Senior News Editor
Owners of the Samsung Fascinate have been waiting for their update to Android 2.2 for some time now, watching other Galaxy S devices like the Vibrant and Epic 4G get Froyo while neither Verizon or Sammy made even a peep about when the Fascinate's turn would come. Well, it seems that the wait is finally almost over, as Big Red announced today that it will begin rolling out Android 2.2 (ED01) to the Fascinate beginning tomorrow, April 21st. Included in the update is Flash and all of the other goodies that come with Froyo, as well as a handful of enhancements and fixes. You can find a full list of all of the improvements below.
This update has certainly been a long time coming, especially when you consider that the Vibrant got updated to 2.2 way back in January, but I'm sure most Fascinate owners are just happy to see that it's finally here. Now we just have to hope that an update to Gingerbread will come just a tad quicker. All of you Fascinate users out there, be sure to let us know when you get Android 2.2 up and running on your device!
UPDATE: As several of you have pointed out, the update has gone live a little early. Hey, weren't not ones to complain. Hit up "System Updates" on your Fascinate and get to installing!
Web Browsing and Data Access
- Device now supports Adobe® Flash® 10.1.
- Enhanced browser performance for faster loading of webpages
- Search the web via Bing™ Voice Search without interruption.
Email and Messaging
- Move messages between folders in the Exchange email client with ease.
- Easily delete all messages in your sent and trash folders within your Exchange email account without being prompted to close the application.
- When using the Swype® feature, sentences are now displayed with the proper use of upper and lower case letters.
- “Dialed Calls” correctly displays within the dialer application.
- When connected to a Bluetooth® device, pressing the speaker button will properly activate the speakerphone.
- Turning on the backlight when the phone is mounted in the car dock will no longer automatically activate the speakerphone.
- Improvements to the Voice Commands application allows you to accurately search contacts by name and number, even when the Contact List contains duplicates.
Additional Device Features
- Color and text scheme in the Calendar has been improved for better readability.
- “Feeds and Updates” widget improvements for auto-refresh feature.
- V CAST Apps is now preloaded.
- Samsung Media hub is now preloaded.
- Ability to allow automatic app updates in Android Market.