AT&T says T-Mobile deal is still on track to be approved by Q1 2012

Alex Wagner
Editorial Director of News and Content from Omaha, NE
Published: June 22, 2011

AT&T-Mobile

When AT&T announced that it planned to acquire T-Mobile for $39 billion back on March 20th, the carrier said that it expected the approval process to take around a full year. It seems that the deal's opposition hasn't slowed down the deal's approval process, at least not yet, as AT&T General Counsel Wayne Watts recently said that the merger is still on track to be approved by Q1 2012. Watts said that so far the review of the deal has been "exactly as we expected" and that, after reviewing comments from the merger's acquisition that have been submitted to the FCC, he "[has] not been surprised by anything that has happened in that process."

Sprint and others have been very outspoken against the AT&T-Mobile deal in the past months, but yesterday saw T-Mobile claim that the merger's opponents "have failed to offer any credible arguments" to support their belief that the deal should be denied. So far it seems like the acquisition is rolling along smoothly, but I wouldn't say that it's a done deal just yet. After all, anything could happen between now and March 2012. Stay tuned.

Via Reuters