Verizon Palm Pre 2 finally bumped up to webOS 2.1Alex Wagner - Deputy Managing Editor, News Desk
The Verizon Palm Pre 2 has had a bit of a strange life. The GSM Pre 2 was announced in October of last year, and it was promised that a Verizon model would be available in the months after. Originally we thought that it would be coming before 2011 was up, but the device didn't end up launching until February 17th, just days after it was revealed that the Pre 3 would be coming this summer. Because of this, the Verizon Pre 2 has always been living in the Pre 3's shadow. Today is the VZW Pre 2 gets at least one day in the spotlight, though, because it's finally been updated to webOS 2.1. Sure, the GSM Pre 2 got webOS 2.1 back at the beginning of March, but we'll just ignore that fact for now. Verizon Pre 2 owners should fire up the Updates app to check for the 2.1 goodness. The full list of fixes and enhancements is available below.
It's kind of a bummer that Verizon's Pre 2 will likely soon be outdated thanks to the arrival of the Pre 3, but the good news is that it gets to go out with a bang. Pre 2 owners on Verizon, be sure to let us know how the 2.1 update's working for you once you get it up and running!
- Exhibition gives you access to special applications that optimize use of the smartphone while it is placed on an HP Touchstone charging dock. The apps include Time (clock app), Photos (photo slide show), and Agenda (agenda view).
- Exhibition turns on automatically when you place your smartphone on a Touchstone charging dock. When the smartphone is not on a charging dock, you can manually turn on Exhibition from the Launcher.
- You can dial contacts using your voice by launching the Voice Dial application. Voice dialing can also be initiated by pressing and holding the volume button at any time, or by tapping and holding on the Phone dial pad.
Feature changes to existing applications
- Information backed up to your Palm profile now includes call history entries, text messages, and instant messages. Note that multimedia messages are not backed up.
- This release offers support for Bluetooth keyboards.
- If you download a music file that you received as an email attachment, the file name appears correctly after downloading.
- Email messages containing multiple replies appear with the replies correctly separated and formatted.
- This release fixes an issue where email message body text in POP email accounts was not being downloaded to the smartphone.
- If you restore a Palm profile that includes one or more messaging accounts, the status icon showing your availability in Messaging appears correctly.
- Thumbnail images appear correctly for images in the Wallpapers album.
- If you search for a task or a task list by typing the name, the search term can begin with a symbol.
- This release addresses a number of security issues with HP webOS software.