Apple iOS 5 beta 2 now available [UPDATED]Alex Wagner - Deputy Managing Editor, News Desk
Heads up, iOS folks: Apple just made iOS 5 beta 2 available to everyone that's a registered iOS developer. The update is available to owners of the iPad, iPad 2, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and 3rd and 4th gen iPod touch and carries the build number 9A5248d.
It certainly seems like it's been a while since the first iOS 5 beta was made available, but hey, all that matters is that another version of the beta is here and shows that development of iOS 5 is chugging right along. There's no word yet on what changes have been made in iOS 5 beta 2, but we'll be sure to let you know more when we do.
UPDATE: The folks at MacRumors note that WiFi Syncing has been included in beta 2. It requires iTunes 10.5 beta 2 as well as OSX 10.6.8. Wireless sync will kick in automatically when the iDevice running iOS 5 beta 2 is connected to the same WiFi network as the paired computer. Users can also force a WiFi sync to take place by going into Settings, General, and then iTunes Sync.
UPDATE 2: iFans has posted a list of all the known changes so far:
- "iTunes 10.5b2 can’t sync iOS 5 Beta 1 devices
- iOS5 Beta 1 devices can’t iMessage iOS5 Beta 2 devices and vice-versa
- WiFi sync now works with OS X computers; it has to be enabled in iTunes 10.5 beta 2 first
- OTA updates have been released, though none are currently available
- iCloud has a new logo in the Settings.app
- You can now backup to iCloud or the computer when setting the device up
- If no notifications are available, Notification Center shows the text “No New Notifications”
- Stock widget in the Notification Center is now off by default
- Stock wallpapers are back, but are the same that were in iOS 4
- General speed improvements, kills bugs that were present in iOS 5 beta 1"