HTC Sensation 4G Android 2.3.4 update begins rolling out, Motorola Flipside bumped to Android 2.2Alex Wagner - Editorial Director of News and Content
Hey there, HTC Sensation 4G owners: jealous of your EVO 3D toting friends and their recent update? Don't be, because your beloved handset is now getting an update to call its very own. T-Mobile announced today that an update to Android 2.3.4 for the Sensation 4G began rolling out over the air today and will be completed by "late September" (our pals at TmoNews have heard that everything should be wrapped up by September 18th). So what goodies does this OTA update include? Alongside a bump to Android 2.3.4, you'll be getting:
- Software stability
- Improved battery life
- Improvements to Trace dictionary
- Improvements to screen responsiveness
- Improvements to video playbook
- Improvements regarding device reboots
- Improvements to icon pixilation
- Improvements to Wi-Fi connection
- Improvements to screen/photo resolution
If you're eager to get your paws on the new software, you can check to see if it's available for you by going to About phone>HTC Software updates>Check. It's not guaranteed that doing so will make the update magically appear on your phone, but if anything it's a good way to pass the time.
Speaking of Android updates, it's also worth mentioning that the Motorola Flipside on AT&T is getting some new software, too. The update requires 40MB of free space on your device and will bump you up to Android 2.2. In addition to all of the fun stuff that comes with Froyo (Flash, storing apps on your microSD card), Flipside users can expect the following enhancements:
- Profiles: Added profiles feature that provides three customizable sets of home screens to give you access to the apps, shortcuts, and widgets you want, when you need them.
- Dialer search: Phone numbers and contacts can now be searched from the dialer screen by entering the first few letters of the contact’s name or first few digits of the contact’s number.
- Applications: Added new applications Files, Latitude, Places, News and Weather, Google Search
- Task Manager: Added Task manager app to assist with managing apps
- LinkedIn: LinkedIn® social network accounts can now be added to integrate with contacts, social networking updates, and messaging
- Security: Added new security features, including Exchange-based encryption and password security
- Gallery: Updated the design of the user interface
Flipside owners can find the download link and installation instructions right here. Kind of a bummer that the Flipside's not getting any Gingerbread love, but hey, getting moved up to Froyo is better than being stuck on Android 2.1 Eclair forever. As usual, we'd love to hear from you Sensation 4G and Flipside owners once your respective updates are installed. We've been told we're very good listeners.
Via TmoNews, T-Mobile, Android Central, Motorola