Symbian Anna update now available for Nokia N8, C7, C6-01, and E7Alex Wagner - Senior News Editor
Big news today for the Symbian crowd: Nokia has announced that an update to Symbian Anna is now available for the first batch of Symbian^3 powered devices, which includes the N8, C7, C6-01, and E7. the update brings with it a new set of icons, a portrait virtual QWERTY keyboard, an improved browser, quicker search in Ovi Maps, and NFC support for the C7, among other features. You can find the full list in the press release below. The new software is available using Ovi Suite on your PC or Software Update on your phone. Nokia says that select countries will begin receiving the update this week, with others getting in on the fun over the next three weeks.
Nokia may be hard at work on getting its first Windows Phone devices out before the end of this year, but it's good to see the company continue to show love to its Symbian-based products as well. No word yet on when the next major iteration of Symbian — known as Symbian Belle — will be arriving, but hey, at least you N8, C7, C6-01, and E7 owners have some new software to tinker with while we wait.
Symbian Anna now available for download
Published August 18, 2011
Espoo, Finland - Symbian Anna - the latest software update for Symbian smartphones - is available for download starting today*.
Symbian Anna significantly enhances the user experience on the Nokia N8, Nokia C7, Nokia C6-01 and Nokia E7. A new user interface, virtual QWERTY keypad in portrait mode, split-screen messaging, enhanced Nokia Maps, better web browsing and stronger security are just a few of the improvements that people will be able to enjoy. Symbian Anna can be downloaded using the latest version of Ovi Suite (version 3.1.1) on a PC, or over-the-air directly to your smartphone**.
"Nokia's Symbian smartphones are used by millions of people around the world every day, addressing specific consumer needs and providing choices at many price points," said Ilari Nurmi, Vice President at Nokia. "Symbian Anna represents a significant update to the experience those users have and demonstrates our ongoing commitment to Symbian, which will see up to 10 more phones introduced over the next 12 months, further updates to the user experience and support for the software until at least 2016."
Key features with Symbian Anna:
- User interface: Symbian Anna brings a fresh new look and feel to the Nokia N8, Nokia C7, Nokia C6-01 and Nokia E7 with crisp icons and multiple usability enhancements. Typing on the touchscreen is much easier with a split screen, so you can see message threads, webpages, contacts or email view while typing on the virtual QWERTY keypad - now also available in portrait mode.
- Maps and navigation: Symbian Anna enhances Nokia Maps with better search functionality, new public transportation routes and the ability to check-in to favorite geo-social network sites like Facebook, Foursquare and Twitter
- Browsing: A faster, easier-to-use browser, delivering quicker page loads and improved device navigation allowing people to connect more easily to their favorite sites on the go.
- Better for business: Symbian Anna brings true business-grade security with improved data encryption on Nokia smartphones. Business users with a Nokia N8, Nokia C7, Nokia C6-01 or Nokia E7 can now easily and securely access their company intranet with IPSEC and SSL VPN enablers.
- Near Field Communications (NFC): The Symbian Anna software update also activates the NFC hardware in the Nokia C7, so people can now simply tap their Nokia C7s together to share contacts, photos, videos and play games; easily pair with NFC-enabled accessories from Nokia and others; and read NFC tags to check-in and more
*The precise rollout schedule of the Symbian Anna software update varies from market to market.
**Method of delivery of the software update differs from market to market and operator to operator.
Symbian Anna key features:
- Virtual portrait QWERTY for fast, one handed typing
- Split screen view while typing; so you can see message threads, webpages, contacts or email
- An easier to use and faster browser, delivering quicker page loads and improved navigation
- Refreshed Nokia Maps including simpler search, new public transportation routes and the ability to check-in to Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare or local social networks
- A feature to share your location via email and SMS (even to non-Nokia phones)
Features for business users:
- Instant messaging and presence with Microsoft Communicator Mobile
- E-mail enhancements including full meeting request support
- True business grade security with hardware accelerated encryption
- Easy and secure intranet access for business users who want to access their company intranet
Features for developers:
- Flashlite 4
- Java Runtime 2.2
- Qt Mobility 1.1
Visit www.nokia.com/symbiananna for more information.
Nokia is committed to connecting people to what matters to them by combining advanced mobile technology with personalized services. More than 1.3 billion people connect to one another with a Nokia, from our most affordable voice-optimized mobile phones to advanced Internet-connected smartphones sold in virtually every market in the world. Through Ovi (www.ovi.com), people also enjoy access to maps and navigation on mobile, a rapidly expanding applications store, a growing catalog of digital music, free email and more. Nokia's NAVTEQ is a leader in comprehensive digital mapping and navigation services, and Nokia Siemens Networks is one of the leading providers of telecommunications infrastructure hardware, software and professional services globally.
Via PhoneScoop, Nokia