Samsung Mesmerize Android 2.3 Gingerbread update now availableAlex Wagner - Editorial Director of News and Content
Samsung may be planning to unveil its U.S. Galaxy S II variants later today — at an event which we'll be covering live — but we've also got some good news today for Galaxy Mesmerize owners on U.S. Cellular. U.S. Cellular just announced that an update to Android 2.3 Gingerbread is now available for the Mesmerize. The update is build number EH09 and, best of all, is available right now via Samsung's own Simple Upgrade Tool. Interested Mesmerize owners can find all of the necessary download links and installation instructions right here. The full list of enhancements and fixes found in the update is below:
- Google platform upgrade to Gingerbread 2.3.4 Operating System
- The notification bar is updated to Google Gingerbread style: icons and background images.
- The quick panel is changed to the Google Gingerbread style.
- The signal strength bar is changed from 4 levels to 5 levels.
- The signal strength bar changes color based on the Google login status.
- The Android keyboard is updated with a new color design and layout.
- For text input, the word selection feature is changed to a novelty word selection feature.
- For power management, the Battery use screen is updated with Phone signal, Awake, Screen on and Charging time.
- For application management, the Manage application screen is updated with a storage usage status gage for System storage, USB storage and RAM.
- Android keyboard settings updated with “Touch to correct words” option.
- Calendar application, added “Show extra options” options menu when creating an event or editing an event: “Show me as” and “Privacy”.
- Calendar application, added “Lock time zone” option in the Calendar settings. Lock event times and dates to your selected time zone below. Times and dates will not change even if you move to another time zone.
- Applications, added new Download application to the application list.
It's pretty exciting to see Android 2.3 finally make its way to the U.S. Cellular Mesmerize, especially considering that the update's packing so many improvements. We're still waiting for word on when other Galaxy S devices like the Epic 4G and Captivate will get their own hearty (official) helping of Gingerbread, but hey, today belongs to the Mesmerize users. Once you folks out there get EH09 up and running on your device, be sure to come back and let us know how it's working!
Via U.S. Cellular