Motorola DROID 3 update details posted by Verizon, slew of bug fixes includedAlex Wagner - Deputy Managing Editor, News Desk
Just a few days ago we told you that the soak test for an impending Motorola DROID 3 update was about to kick off, but at the time there was no word on what kinds of fixes the new software would contain. That changes today, though, as Verizon has posted details about the update on the DROID 3 support page. The new software is build number 5.6.890 and weighs in at 57.6MB. As far as what's in the update, you're looking at newly-preloaded apps like Google Video Talk and V CAST Media Manager as well as a slew of bug fixes that should bring better battery life and improved device stability. Having a more stable phone is always good, right? You can check out the full change log below.
Overall this looks like a pretty big update for all of you DROID 3 owners out there. The problem is that we still don't know exactly when the new software will begin rolling out to all of us Joe Schmoes in the wild. However, the fact that the update's support documents have made their way onto Verizon's website suggests it's not too far off. DROID 3 owners, ready your updating fingers!
- Improved audio clarity for incoming calls and navigation.
- No longer receive urgent notifications from Visual Voice Mail.
Email and Messaging
- EAS policies can now limit personal email.
- After setting up “Other” email accounts, user is now taken back to “Adding Accounts” page.
- Yahoo!® emails show correct time-date stamp.
Applications and Widgets
- Google Video Talk now comes preloaded.
- V CAST Media Manager now comes preloaded.
- Geo-tagging feature works properly.
- Successfully subscribe to News App bundles.
- Successfully launch GoToMeeting®.
- When selecting to return “Home” in V CAST Video on Demand, the correct video will play.
- V CAST App Store menu now functions correctly.
- Streaming video is now available within the NFL Mobile app.
- Improvements in the stability and connection of the Data widget.
- Improvements in the stability of VZ Navigator®.
- City ID now displays country name when receiving international calls.
- SWYPE® keyboard cursor no longer skips to auto signature.
- Backup Assistant no longer displays “Network Unavailable” error message.
Additional Device Features
- Improved camera shutter speed and addition of multi-shot capability.
- Correct charging indication displayed while on the Wireless Charging Pad.
- Improved stability reduces camera, browser and device lockups/force close.
- Access My Verizon without any force close errors.
- Display screen no longer flickers.
- Airplane Mode works properly while toggling rapidly.
- GPS updates now install properly.
- Improved battery life.
- The Startup animation sound will no longer play when the device is in “Silent Mode”.
- Guided Tours now available for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth®.
- When display is locked and rotating camcorder is in use, the display is no longer distorted.
- Improvements in the functionality and stability of the SWYPE messaging feature.
- Device no longer overheats after prolonged use of camera or camcorder.
- Device no longer force closes while in Landscape Mode and the Apps Tray button is selected.