New Motorola DROID 2 Global Gingerbread update now rolling out, also available for pullAlex Wagner - Senior News Editor
Remember that new Motorola DROID 2 Global Gingerbread update that we told you about last week? Yeah, that's the one. Our old pal Matt on the official Motorola support forums has announced that that update, which is build number 4.5.608, is now rolling out over the air in phases and is also available for manual pull. The update weighs in at a mere 14MB and contains a number of bug fixes and enhancements, all of which you can find in the full changelog below.
As I'm sure many DROID 2 Global owners recall, the D2G originally started getting bumped up to Gingerbread over a month ago, but that update was quickly pulled when it was found to contain an Exchange encryption bug. It's back now, though, and if you're a D2G owner that's yet to receive notification of the OTA update, you can pull it manually by going to Menu > Settings > About phone > System updates. Just don't forget to drop by the comments section after you've got the update installed to let us know how it's working for you, k?
- Download Manager App:
- New App to manage all of your downloads from web browsing, email attachments and other apps.
- App and Power Management Details:
- Under Manage Applications, a new “Running” tab displays a list of active applications and the storage and memory being used by each.
- Multi-Touch Key-Chording:
- New ability to enter numbers and symbols with keyboard shortcut combos, instead of having to change to the numeric keyboard mode.
- Improved Word Selection and Copy Functionality:
- New capability to select a word via press-hold. A second press of the selected word copies the selected characters.
- New User Interface and Color Scheme:
- New widgets, icons and screens with refreshed colors.
- Dock Icons:
- Static Phone, App Launcher and Contacts icons are replaced within a customizable dock. Three swappable icons and the App Launcher icon are fixed to the Dock at the bottom of all home screen panels for easy and instant access.
- App Groups:
- New App Menu allows creation of custom app groups, in addition to 3 default groups: All Apps, Recent and Downloaded.
- Added Device and SD Card encryption. VPN enhancements integrate IPSec VPN clients into device security settings.
- Updated Calendar Options:
- Display Calendar and event times in your home time zone when traveling.
- Dismiss individual reminders, such as dismissing one meeting reminder without dismissing other meeting reminders.
- Easy conference dialing – simply dial and automatically enter a conference code directly from your Calendar.
- Email and Messaging
- Sporadic issues with unintended recipient list corrected for text, picture, video and audio multimedia messages.
- Exchange ActiveSync calendar events created on the device will now push to your PC calendar.
- POP3/IMAP emails now show the correct date stamp.
- New ActiveSync Email Policy Support for the following:
- Data encryption for both the internal and SD card memory.
- Require manual synchronization while roaming.
- Allow HTML email.
- Additional Device Features
- Improvements in stability prevent lockups, resets and force close errors.
- Bluetooth® devices will now select the correct audio recording level for optimal voice capture and alert you when your audio level is too low.
- Improved battery life while using Bluetooth.
- Access My Verizon without any force close errors.
- Reset Backup Assistant under Manage Applications menu.
- Enhanced connectivity when roaming in GSM/UMTS networks (Europe and India).
- Improved battery life during Wi-Fi use.
- Exchange ActiveSync encryption fails after OTA update.
- Preloaded Apps and Programs
- Google Books
- Amazon MP3 Store
- Adobe® Flash® Player 10.2