Verizon's Samsung Galaxy Tab Gingerbread update is "coming soon"Alex Wagner - Senior News Editor
Verizon may now be offering the Honeycomb-powered Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, but just because there's a new Tab in town doesn't mean that Big Red's forgotten about the original 7-inch Galaxy slate. The Samsung Galaxy Tab support page on Verizon's site has been updated to show that an update to Android 2.3 Gingerbread will soon be making its way to the device. The new software is build number I800.EI04 and includes a bump to Android 2.3.5, improved word selection and copying abilities, a "Verizon Data Service" setting that allows users to view their data plan and usage and learn how to change service plans, and all of the goodies that come with Gingerbread. The full changelog is available below.
The original Galaxy Tab may be getting a tad long in the tooth at this point, but its 7-inch size combined with the fact that it was one of the first really compelling Android tablets to hit the market means that there are likely still quite a few folks out there rocking one of these suckers. Do any of you still have an OG Galaxy Tab lying around? Oh, and as usual, you can bet that as soon as the Verizon's GTab update starts rolling out, we'll let you all know.
- When using the Personal Identification Number (PIN) as a security method, the device no longer requests a symbol as a numeric entry.
Email and Messaging
Improved Word Selection and Copy Functionality:
- New capability to select a word via press-hold. A second press of the selected word copies the selected characters.
Web Browsing and Data Access
- The ‘View Data Plan’ icon has been added to replace the ‘Music Player’ icon on the homescreen. Using this function, a Pay-As-You-Go user can adjust their Data Service subscription. Month-to-Month users can continue to use the ‘My Verizon Mobile’ app to monitor their data usage.
- A ‘Verizon Data Service’ feature has been added to the Settings menu. Using this function, Galaxy Tab users can view their current plan and usage, learn how to change service plans and activate or renew data services.
Device Features and Applications
Download Manager App:
- New App to manage all of your downloads from web browsing, email attachments and other apps.
App and Power Management Details:
- Under Manage Applications, a new ‘Running’ tab displays a list of active applications and the storage and memory being used by each.
- Use the front-facing camera as a camcorder. Alternate between the front-facing camera and camcorder with the slide of a switch.
- Download App icon now displays within the Applications page.
- Widgets will resize to accurately reflect landscape or portrait mode.
- Enhanced display options have been added (wallpaper, color density, etc.).
- Supports Verizon Pay As You Go prepaid data service plans.
- Downloads no longer timeout in Android Market.
- Corrected recorded video orientation.
- Includes Google security patches.