Samsung DROID Charge Gingerbread changelog posted by Verizon, update is coming soon [UPDATED]
The road to Gingerbread for the Samsung DROID Charge has been a long one that started with the device launching way back in mid-May with Android 2.2 Froyo in tow. It looks like that road will finally be coming to an end soon, though, as Verizon has posted the complete changelog for the Charge's Android 2.3 update and promised that the new software is coming soon. The update is build number i510.EP4, weighs in at 114.9MB, and contains a bump to Android 2.3 and improvements to the Charge's audio output and data connectivity, among other things. The full changelog is available below.
We're still waiting to hear word from Verizon on precisely when the Charge's EP4 update will begin making its way to the device's patient owners, but it wouldn't be a surprise to see the push begin sometime in the next week or so. Good thing that there's a long weekend of turkey eating and deal hunting ahead to help pass the time, no? We'll keep you updated as we learn more, Chargers.
UPDATE: According to an image sent over to Droid-Life, the Charge's Gingerbread update will begin rolling out on November 29th.
Download Manager App:
- New App to manage all of your downloads from web browsing, email attachments and other apps.
App and Power Management Details:
- Under Manage Applications, a new “Running” tab displays a list of active applications and the storage and memory being used by each.
Improved Word Selection and Copy Functionality:
- New capability to select a word, or select all, via press-hold. A second press of the selected word copies or cuts the selected characters and pastes them.
New User Interface and Color Scheme:
- New widgets, icons and screens with refreshed colors.
- Added Device and SD Card encryption. VPN enhancements integrate IPSec VPN clients into device security settings.
Updated Calendar Options:
- Display Calendar and event times in your home time zone when traveling.
- Dismiss individual reminders, such as dismissing one meeting reminder without dismissing other meeting reminders.
- “Pause”, “Wait” and “Password” have been added into the voicemail speed dial entry for manual entry/storage.
- The vibration alert intensity has been increased.
Email, Messaging and Data
- The messaging signature setting is now supported.
- The Hotspot-WLAN password is now encrypted.
- Display .eml attachments from Outlook email.
- Software Upgrade Assistant (SUA) has been added.
- The volume of the Low Battery Notification sound has been reduced.
The following device features, applications and software have been improved:
- Audio Output
- Data Connectivity
- Data Usage App
- Email Client
- EAS Email and Calendar syncing
- HDMI Output
- SMS / MMS Messaging
- Visual Voice Mail
- Web Browser
- Video on Demand