Samsung DROID Charge Gingerbread update begins pushing outAlex Wagner - Senior News Editor
Today's your day, Samsung DROID Charge owners. One week ago we learned that the Charge would be getting bumped up to Android 2.3 Gingerbread in the near future, with a leaked image showing that the update was slated to kick off as soon as November 29th. The 29th has now come and gone and, sure enough, several Charge owners are reporting that they've received the EP4 Gingerbread update over the air. Along with the usual Android 2.3 goodies, Charge owners can expect the new software to contain improved data connectivity, increased call vibration alert intensity, and a boatful of other fixes. The full changelog is available below.
Is your Charge still without its piping hot helping of Gingerbread? Don't fret too much, as Verizon has said that the update is still rolling out and may take up to a couple of weeks to roll out to everyone. If you don't feel like waiting that long — and really, why would you? — you can try to manually check for the update by heading into the "System updates" portion of your settings. As for you Charge folk that have gotten Gingerbread already: I'm sure that you'd like to share your excitement about the update with someone, and our comments section below is pretty much the perfect place for that. Just sayin'.
Download Manager App:
- New App to manage all of your downloads from web browsing, email attachments and other apps.
App and Power Management Details:
- Under Manage Applications, a new “Running” tab displays a list of active applications and the storage and memory being used by each.
Improved Word Selection and Copy Functionality:
- New capability to select a word, or select all, via press-hold. A second press of the selected word copies or cuts the selected characters and pastes them.
New User Interface and Color Scheme:
- New widgets, icons and screens with refreshed colors.
- Added Device and SD Card encryption. VPN enhancements integrate IPSec VPN clients into device security settings.
Updated Calendar Options:
- Display Calendar and event times in your home time zone when traveling.
- Dismiss individual reminders, such as dismissing one meeting reminder without dismissing other meeting reminders.
- “Pause”, “Wait” and “Password” have been added into the voicemail speed dial entry for manual entry/storage.
- The vibration alert intensity has been increased.
Email, Messaging and Data
- The messaging signature setting is now supported.
- The Hotspot-WLAN password is now encrypted.
- Display .eml attachments from Outlook email.
- Software Upgrade Assistant (SUA) has been added.
- The volume of the Low Battery Notification sound has been reduced.
The following device features, applications and software have been improved:
- Audio Output
- Data Connectivity
- Data Usage App
- Email Client
- EAS Email and Calendar syncing
- HDMI Output
- SMS / MMS Messaging
- Visual Voice Mail
- Web Browser
- Video on Demand