Leaked 2012 RIM BBX roadmap teases a handful of new devicesAlex Wagner - Deputy Managing Editor, News Desk
BlackBerry fanatics have been gobbling up every last little bit of information that's come out about RIM's next major operating system, dubbed BBX, and the devices that'll run it since before the new OS was even announced. Details about BBX products have been slowly trickling out for the past several months, the latest of which showed us the BlackBerry London, but this weekend the folks at CrackBerry have offered up a feast of BBX info in the form of a leaked device roadmap. The full list of device codenames, in handy bullet form:
- BlackBerry London: The full-touch device that leaked last month. Said to be currently slated for an early March launch.
- BlackBerry Milan: Handset that may be destined for AT&T with an internal codename of R071. The London's internal codename is R072, so it's thought that the Milan may be a GSM version of the London. Slated for late March.
- BlackBerry Lisbon: Not much is known about this one, but CrackBerry suggests that it may be a slider.
- BlackBerry Nevada: More traditional BlackBerry form factor with full QWERTY keyboard and touch display. Expected for to arrive in November.
- Black Forest: 10-inch BBX tablet with an angled design similar to the London.
Obviously there are still a lot of details about these devices that are still up in the air, but it's good to hear that RIM's already got several BBX devices in the pipeline for 2012. Although it's entirely possible that the rumored launch targets for those devices could change, here's to hoping that RIM doesn't wait too long to get the first BBX handsets out the door. The company's market share has been taking a bit of a beating as of late at the hands of competitors like Android and iOS, so it could definitely use a shot of new excitement and interest that would accompany the arrival of BBX-powered products.