HTC EVO View 4G Honeycomb update now availableAlex Wagner - Editorial Director of News and Content
Looks like HTC EVO View 4G owners are getting a nice little year-end surprise from Sprint. What is it, you ask? Why, just an update to Honeycomb. Sprint has updated the EVO View 4G's support page to show that the WiMAX-enabled tablet is now getting an update to Android 3.2.1 that brings with it a "new virtual and holographic user interface" as well as several other goodies. The page says that the update will be released on the 22nd, aka tomorrow, but several EVO View 4G users are reporting that they're able to download the 217MB update right now. If you've got an EVO View 4G and would like to try and pull some Honeycomb from the sky yourself, you can check to see if it's available by going to Menu > Settings > System updates > HTC software update > Check now. The full changelog for the update can be found below.
Sprint told us waaaay back in April that the EVO View 4G would be getting a bump up to Honeycomb at some point, so it's not a total shock to see the update happening, but it's exciting nonetheless. The bad news is that upon installing the update, your home screen setup and wallpaper will be erased and the device will return to its default layout. I'd say that that's a small price to pay for a taste of Honeycomb, though, wouldn't you?
This update adds Android 3.2.1 (Honeycomb) and a new virtual and holographic user interface.
- Physical Hard keys replaced with on screen Soft keys
- New Google search, available on every page
- System Bar: Quick access to notifications, status, and soft navigation buttons available at the bottom of the screen
- Notifications menu moved to the bottom right corner of the screen, on the System Bar.
- The Action Bar—which can be accessed by touching the Plus Sign icon at the top right of the screen—is the key to contextual, changing menus that are controlled by each application.
- Enhanced security including Sprint Data Link and 3LM
- Google video chat
- Bluetooth capable in Airplane mode
Important: Due to the unique structure of the Honeycomb layout, your personalized widgets and screen setup will not remain after the upgrade. The device will revert to the out-of-box home screen layout. Wallpapers, widgets, and application shortcuts that have been personalized will need to be re-established.