Motorola Xoom Wi-Fi now receiving Ice Cream Sandwich update [UPDATED]Alex Wagner - Senior News Editor
If you're a Wi-Fi Motorola Xoom owner that missed out on the Ice Cream Sandwich-flavored "project" that went out to testers last week, then today's your day. Reports have been flying in to show that the Android 4.0 update is now making its way to Wi-Fi-only Xooms everywhere, bringing the previously Honeycomb-clad tablet up to Google's latest and greatest. The update looks to be build number IML77 and is bumping users up to Android 4.0.3.
For those of you with a Wi-Fi Xoom that has yet to be treated to an early morning dessert, don't worry too much, as these updates can take some time to roll out to each and every user. If you're feeling impatient, you could head into Settings > About tablet > System updates to check for the update manually. Be sure to give us a shout in the comments when the update finally makes its way to your neck of the woods!
UPDATE: Motorola has confirmed that the update is indeed rolling out now, adding that it'll be pushed out in phases over the next few weeks. The changes that Xoom owners can expect to find after installing the upgrade are:
- Updated Browser with faster rendering, zoom and pan: Users can also now save pages for offline reading and request desktop versions of websites.
- Swipe to dismiss notifications, tasks, and browser tabs: You can now dismiss individual notifications, apps from the Recent Apps list, and browser tabs with a simple swipe of a finger.
- Redesigned app launcher: In All Apps launcher, you can now simply drag an app to get information about it, immediately uninstall it, or disable a pre-installed app.
- New System Font for Improved Readability: An entirely new typeface (called Roboto) optimized for high resolution screens improves readability and brings a polished feel to the user interface.
- Updated “People” Application: Replaces contacts and integrates seamlessly with Google+ and other social networks.
- Improved text input and spell-checking: The keyboard now features improved accuracy to make text input faster. It also now includes an in-line spell checker to make corrections easier.
- Type with your voice: Now you can simply touch the microphone on the keyboard and start talking to write emails, SMS, or any other text—more than 20 languages supported. Text appears in real time, so there’s no waiting for server processing.
- Richer and versatile imaging capabilities: For capturing larger scenes, the camera introduces a single motion panorama mode. Also, you can now take still shots while shooting video just by tapping the screen as video continues to record. You can also launch camera directly from the Lockscreen. When you shoot videos, you can now choose from a number of silly faces and other fun effects which recognize individual facial features so you can give your friends big eyes, squeeze heads, make noses bigger, or change the scenery with background replacement.
- Redesigned Gallery app with photo editor: To help pictures look their best, the Gallery now offers a powerful photo editor so you can crop and rotate pictures, set levels, remove red eyes, add effects, and much more.
- Richer, resizable widgets: You can expand widgets to show more content, or shrink them to save space.