Leaked RIM roadmap teases HSPA+ PlayBook, BlackBerry 10 devicesAlex Wagner - Deputy Managing Editor, News Desk
RIM's been making headlines over the past 36 hours or so thanks to its management shakeup that included the introduction of new CEO named Thorsten Heins. Today the BlackBerry manufacturer is back in the news, but now the focus is on upcoming RIM products, and this new report slightly less than official than Heins's recent promotion. A newly-leaked RIM roadmap sent to the folks at BGR suggests that the Waterloo firm is prepping a pair of new Curves (likely for emerging markets) as well as an HSPA+ PlayBook and some new BlackBerry 10 handsets. Here's what the list reportedly looks like:
- BlackBerry Curve 9230 (EDGE-only) and Curve 9320 (HSPA) with BlackBerry 7 coming in "the next few months."
- BlackBerry PlayBook with 1.5GHz processor and HSPA+ connectivity in May or June. No word on screen size, but a recent report from N4BB suggested that a 7-inch 3G PlayBook is on track to arrive in a few months, so this may be the same device.
- BlackBerry London currently expected in September with BlackBerry 10.
- New BlackBerry 10-powered handset in the works that is said to be part of the Bold series and may feature a touchscreen and physical keyboard. Rumored to be coming in December, it may be the mysterious "Nevada" device that we heard about last month.
- Lastly, a BlackBerry 10 slider is reportedly being kicked around inside RIM right now, but it may not arrive until Q1 2013.
Overall there's nothing too surprising on this list since a lot of it is stuff we've heard before in the past couple of months, but it's good to get an update on what kinds of goodies that RIM's got in the pipeline. Of course, this news also serves as a reminder that the first BlackBerry 10 handsets aren't expected to be hitting store shelves and consumer pockets until later in 2012, which is, well, a bit of a bummer. At least we've got that BlackBerry 10 showing at MWC next month to look forward to. What do you all make of this leaked roadmap? Any of the rumored devices pique your interest?