Samsung Infuse 4G Gingerbread update announced by AT&TAlex Wagner - Deputy Managing Editor, News Desk
Here's a nice Wednesday surprise for Samsung Infuse 4G owners out there: Today AT&T announced that the Infuse's update to Android 2.3 Gingerbread is finally available for download. The upgrade will bump the device to Android 2.3.6 and contains a handful of fixes and enhancements, the full list of which is as follows:
- Improved Copy and Paste functionality
- Redesigned Multi Touch Software Keyboard
- Download manager for long running HTTP downloads
- Improved power management and application control
- Notification Shade: “Flight Mode” added (“Silent” removed)
- New Fonts options added include Choco Cooky, Cool Jazz, Rosemary
- Keyboard Changes: Android Keyboard with Wider Spaced keys and Quick Keys at the top
- New Widgets: The name of the content provider will be listed on the widget list along with the widget name. Previously only the widget name was provided.
- New Widget: Traffic (Android) added to list of available widgets
- Menu Changes/New Apps: Downloads and Google Books added new, Promotional pre-load of Angry Birds removed*.
- *Note: The update will remove the promotional Angry Birds pre-load from the device. If you’ve started playing the game, you would need to re-download from the Marketplace and start from the beginning of the game.
Exciting, right? AT&T says that the update isn't available as an over-the-air download, explaining that you'll need to plug your Infuse 4G into your computer in order to install the upgrade. Unfortunately for the Mac crowd, AT&T adds that Windows is required for the installation process, so folks with an Apple machine will need to find a different computer to use. It's also worth mentioning that the download link provided by AT&T isn't working quite yet, but we'll let you know when we see it functioning properly. Until then, you Infuse folk can feel free to mosey on down to the comments below and express your happiness, or any other emotions that may be brewing inside you. We're all ears.