Samsung Continuum Android 2.2 update detailed by VerizonAlex Wagner - Editorial Director of News and Content
Well, this certainly isn't something I expected to write about when I woke up this morning. Verizon has posted some new documents on its support site showing that the Samsung Continuum will soon be receiving a pair of updates that'll bump it to Android 2.2 Froyo. In addition to the Froyo upgrade, the first update (EB01) will bring with it improvements to the over the air user interface, while the second update (EC09) packs in a bevy of bug fixes and enhancements that includes better browser performance, improved text message deliver and support for Flash 10.1. We've got the full changelog for both updates available down below.
For those that don't remember the Continuum, it's a device that made its debut on Verizon way back in late 2010, complete with a unique secondary "ticker display" at the bottom of its face that'd display things like news and notifications. We haven't really heard much about the Continuum since then, but it's great to see that owners of the device are on the receiving end of a beefy Android update. Sure, it'd be nice if the phone was getting something slightly fresher than Froyo, but hey, this bump to Android 2.2 is better than being stuck on Android 2.1 Eclair forever, especially considering how many fixes it's packing. There's no word yet on when these updates may begin rolling out, but if you've got a Continuum and want to check for them manually, you can do just that by heading into Menu > Settings > About phone > System Updates. Any of you out there have a Samsung Continuum or know someone that does?
Software Update 1 - Enhancements in i400.EB01 Software:
- This software update is the first step of two when upgrading to Android 2.2 (Froyo). Downloading this update will also provide improvements in the Over the Air (OTA) User Interface.
Software Update 2 - Enhancements in i400.EC09 Software:
Web Browsing and Data Access
- Receive calls with limited interruption.
- Device now supports Adobe® Flash® 10.1.
- Receive GPS updates when connected over a Wi-Fi network.
Call Features, Email and Messaging
- Improved delivery of text messages.
- When a text message reaches the 160 character limit, the device will convert the message to a multimedia message1 and alert you with a notification.
- Support for animated GIF files in a multimedia message.
Additional Device Features
- Improvements in Over the Air (OTA) functionality to ensure your device can be successfully updated.
- Ability to allow automatic application updates in Android Market.™
- When using V CAST Apps to download applications, the device will remain active to ensure transfer completion.
- Media Hub now comes preloaded.
- Improved GPS accuracy when using the VZ Navigator® application.
- Enable the auto-refresh setting within the Weatherbug® App to ensure constant updates.
- Accurately display the time when using the Weatherbug App.
- Easily toggle audio between a connected headset and the phone during Visual Voice Mail playback.
- Selecting Voice Mail from within the Buddies Now widget will properly open the message in the Visual Voice Mail application.
- Visual Voice Mail displays correct call back number.
- Successfully open the Navigation Link from within the car dock screen.
- Enhanced stability while playing streamed music using the Google Music application.
- Launcher application will no longer experience forced closures when the device is placed in desk mount.