Samsung Infuse 4G Gingerbread update ready for download once againAlex Wagner - Deputy Managing Editor, News Desk
Back at the beginning of February AT&T announced that the Samsung Infuse 4G's upgrade to Android 2.3 Gingerbread was available for download. Unfortunately for Infuse 4G owners, the update was put on hold shortly thereafter due to an issue with the new software. Fast-forward two months and AT&T has confirmed that the upgrade is once again ready for download through Samsung's Kies Mini software. Here's what the full changelog looks like, just in case you forgot since the last time that the update was in the news:
- Improved Copy and Paste functionality
- Redesigned Multi Touch Software Keyboard
- Download manager for long running HTTP downloads
- Improved power management and application control
- Notification Shade: “Flight Mode” added (“Silent” removed)
- New Fonts options added include Choco Cooky, Cool Jazz, Rosemary
- Keyboard Changes: Android Keyboard with Wider Spaced keys and Quick Keys at the top
- New Widgets: The name of the content provider will be listed on the widget list along with the widget name. Previously only the widget name was provided.
- New Widget: Traffic (Android) added to list of available widgets
- Menu Changes/New Apps: Downloads and Google Books added new, Promotional pre-load of Angry Birds removed*.
Along with all of those enhancements, the upgrade will also bump the Infuse 4G to Android 2.3.6. AT&T mentions that the update will reset your phone and wipe its data, and although some users that've actually installed the update report that that doesn't actually happen, it's not a bad idea to back your stuff up just to be safe. It may have taken some time for the Infuse to finally receive its (second) helping of Gingerbread, but hey, it's certainly better than being stuck on Froyo forever. Here's to hoping that the update doesn't get paused a second time. You Infuse 4G owners can find all the necessary download links and instructions at the Samsung link below.