Motorola updates Android 4.0 upgrade scheduleAlex Wagner - Editorial Director of News and Content
Motorola last provided an update on its Android 4.0 update schedule back in February, but at the time many devices that folks were wondering about, like the DROID RAZR and DROID 4, were listed simply as being in the "Evaluation & Planning" phase. Today Moto updated its schedule again, though, and now we've got a better idea of when several products will be upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich (if they will be at all). The DROID RAZR and RAZR MAXX are now expected to receive an ICS update in Q2 2012, and the DROID 4's update is planned for Q3 2012. Here's how Motorola's full schedule now breaks down:
- Rollout begins in Q2 2012: DROID RAZR, DROID RAZR MAXX, XOOM Wi-Fi + 3G MZ600
- Rollout begins in Q3 2012: DROID 4, DROID BIONIC (early Q3 2012), DROID XYBOARD 8.2 (early Q3 2012), DROID XYBOARD 10.1 (early Q3 2012), XOOM Family Edition, ATRIX 4G, ATRIX 2
- Rollout begins in Q4 2012: PHOTON 4G
- Upgrade in Evaluation & Planning: ELECTRIFY
- Will remain on Android 2.3: ADMIRAL, DROID 3, DROID X2, MILESTONE 3, MILESTONE X2, MOTOROLA PRO+
It's great to finally get some of the Android 4.0 upgrade timeframes narrowed down a bit, especially for devices like the DROID RAZR and RAZR MAXX, whose ICS updates have been the subject of rumors. On the other hand, it's a bummer to see which devices won't be getting a helping Google's latest dessert. For example, the DROID 3 came out last July, was replaced by the DROID 4 in February and will now be on Android 2.3 for the rest of its life. That news isn't totally surprising given that Verizon's Android 4.0 list excluded phones like the DROID 3 and DROID X2, but it's still kind of disappointing. If you've got one of the devices on Motorola's upgrade schedule, which part of the list does it fall into?