Apple and Samsung unable to reach agreement in settlement talksAlex Wagner - Editorial Director of News and Content
This past Monday and Tuesday were the days that Apple CEO Tim Cook and Samsung CEO Choi Gee-sung were scheduled to meet for settlement talks in San Francisco. So what did the meetings accomplish? Not much, unsurprisingly. According to a Samsung official speaking to The Korea Times, the two executives were unable to reach any agreements during their talks. That means that Samsung still believes that Apple should pay it royalties for using its wireless tech and that Apple thinks that Samsung has copied the designs of some of its products.
FOSS Patents says that it's gotten hold of the initial documents from the meetings that were completed by Magistrate Judge Spero, who oversaw the talks. The docs reveal that the two parties met for nine hours on Monday and seven hours on Tuesday, but that there's no mention of any plans to continue the attempts at a settlement, which FOSS Patents suggests could mean that there aren't any plans for more talks like these any time soon. A trial between Apple and Samsung is scheduled to kick off on June 27th.
As I said before, it's not a shock to hear that Apple and Samsung were unable to reach an agreement during their talks, especially considering how heated the legal battle between them has become ever since the first shot was fired last year. Now the two are headed for trial next month, but that doesn't mean that they're done fighting until then, as Apple recently filed for a preliminary injunction against the Galaxy Tab 10.1 here in the U.S. A hearing on that matter is set for June 7th. We'll bring you more details on this whole Apple-Samsung tiff as we get it. Stay tuned.