HTC One S and Samsung Exhibit II 4G updates revealed, Exhibit II 4G to be rebranded [UPDATED]Alex Wagner - Senior News Editor
T-Mobile has announced updates for two of its Android-powered handsets: the HTC One S and the (soon to be renamed) Samsung Exhibit II 4G. First up, the HTC One S update will begin rolling out over the air tomorrow, May 31, bringing with it a bump to software version 1.84.531.2 and a handful of tweaks, like Wi-Fi calling and stability improvements. The new software weighs in at 24.2MB. Here's the full changelog from the folks at T-Mobile:
- Android version 4.0.3 / Software version 1.84.531.2 710RD
- Updated 5/31/2012
- Resolves goodbye splash not appearing when powering off due to low battery.
- Resolves voicemail indicator not appearing while using Wi-Fi calling.
- Improvements to Wi-Fi Calling
- Improvements to camera stability
- Resolves signal fluctuation.
- OTA update
- Device is running Android version 4.0.3 / Software version 1.53.531.76 710RD
- Device software is not rooted
- More than 50% battery life
- Data connection
- 350 MB available memory (File size of update is 24.2 MB)
The Samsung Exhibit II 4G is also receiving an update that's available starting today via an over the air install or through Samsung's Kies software. The T679UVLE1 update will bump the Exhibit II 4G up to Android 2.3.6 and will also rebrand the device to "Samsung Galaxy Exhibit 4G." Included is a Google Security Fix and improvements for things like device stability and the camera app. The full T-Mobile changelog for the 33MB update:
- Android version 2.3.6 / Software T679UVLE1
- Over-The-Air Update (33 MB) and Kies
- Approved 5/30/12
- Re-brand to Samsung Galaxy Exhibit 4G
- Google Security Fix
- Device stability improvements
- Wi-Fi Calling audio improvements
- Camera app improvements
- Swype corporate email improvements
- Android version 2.3.5 / Software version T679UVKJ1 update
- At least 50% battery life
So why the Exhibit II 4G/Galaxy Exhibit 4G name change? T-Mobile doesn't offer an explanation, but it could have something to do with the fact that nearly all of the other Samsung-made Android devices offered by T-Mobile feature the Galaxy branding. Perhaps the folks at either Magenta or Samsung wanted a consistent Galaxy branding and thought that it was time for the Exhibit II 4G to join the Galaxy family, several months after its launch. Whatever the cause, it's good to see a maintenance update hitting the device, and I'm sure One S owners are excited to be getting some new software of their own. To check for these updates, One S folks should go into Menu > Settings > About phone > Software Updates, while Exhibit II 4G users can select Menu > Settings > Software update. Don't forget to shout out in the comments below if you find anything!
UPDATE: T-Mobile has changed its support page for the HTC One S's update, pushing the rollout start date from May 31 to June 4.