Verizon Motorola XOOM Android 4.0.4 update officially detailed [UPDATED]Alex Wagner - Deputy Managing Editor, News Desk
Earlier this week, Verizon made an update to Android 4.0.4 for the Galaxy Nexus official, and now the Big Red carrier has done the same for its Motorola XOOM. Verizon has posted the details of the XOOM's Android 4.0.4 update on the device's support page, showing users some of the new features that the upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich will bring and also revealing a boatload of changes and bug fixes that'll be included with the update. Verizon's changelog for this update, which weighs in at 107.9MB, can be found at the bottom of this post.
We learned on Wednesday that Motorola was ready to kick off a soak test for a new update intended for Verizon's XOOM, and considering that Moto had previously said that the XOOM's Android 4.0 update was scheduled for the second quarter, it was speculated that this test was for that ICS update. Now it looks like that's indeed the case. As for when this Android 4.0.4 bump will begin rolling out to the general public, Verizon says that the update is "coming soon" but hasn't provided a specific start date. Still, considering how long the Verizon XOOM has been on Honeycomb, I'm sure that the news that the tablet's Ice Cream Sandwich update is official is exciting for its users. Stay tuned for more, XOOMers!
UPDATE: Verizon has announced that the XOOM's Android 4.0 update will begin rolling out on June 4. The carrier's full announcement is available right here.
Email, Messaging and Data
- 4G LTE upgrade issues resolved.
- Device successfully connects to 4G LTE network immediately after DUAL IMSI switch.
- Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) policy improvements.
- EAS security and sync fixed.
- Optimized EAS setup.
- Enhanced Client Conversions with EAS.
- Email search now available.
- Improved email folder ordering.
- Updated Browser with faster rendering, zoom and pan features.
- Users have the ability to save pages for offline reading and desktop versions of websites.
- Updated “People” application to integrate with Google+ and other social networks.
- Improved text input and spell-check.
- Down arrow added in browser navigation bar.
- Improved device stability.
- Pressing the power button locks the device when you have a pattern, pin or password lock enabled.
- App launcher has been redesigned to allow app dragging to do the following:
- Get Information
- Improved imaging capabilities:
- Launch camera from Lockscreen
- Added effects during video recording
- Single motion panorama mode
- Added photo editor to the Gallery application.
- Updated widget controls to allow expansion and contraction to show more content.
- New system font (Roboto) for improved readability.
- Improved screen rotation response time.
- Optimized widget sizes.
- Improved device stability limits the number of resets.
- Improvements to Mobile Hotspot connectivity.