Motorola DROID RAZR, DROID RAZR MAXX Android 4.0 update now available for downloadAlex Wagner - Editorial Director of News and Content
It's now been a little over a week since Motorola and Verizon first announced that the DROID RAZR and RAZR MAXX's Android 4.0 update had begun. Motorola said that only a "select number" of owners would see the update initially, and judging by the ratio of "No update here" to "Mine's downloading" comments on our last post, that seems to have been the case. However, it looks like those folks that haven't had the update pushed to them can finally stop waiting and start pulling. Several RAZR and RAZR MAXX owners are reporting that they've successfully pulled the update manually today, which can be done by heading into Menu > Settings > About phone > System updates.
Along with a bump to Android 4.0.4, the RAZR and RAZR MAXX's update brings with it a number of new tweaks and enhancements, including a direct access lock screen and support for global roaming. For a full list of changes found in the 354MB update (and for something to help pass the time while your update downloads and installs), you can check out Verizon's changelog below. And once the dust settles and your install finishes, don't forget to swing by the comments section and tell us all about how Ice Cream Sandwich is treating you, alright?
The home screen now includes a customizable Launch Bar. You can easily drag apps, shortcuts and folders in or out of the Launch Bar for access from any home screen.
Enhanced notifications window include access to settings menu and new swipe to dismiss functionality for individual notifications.
DIRECT ACCESS LOCK SCREEN
The direct access lock screen takes you directly to Camera, Text, Messages, or Unlock.
Monitor your data usage all in one place. Set warning levels, check individual app usage or turn off data completely.
Settings have been organized into logical groups, take action without leaving Settings.
Multitask with ease using the Recent Apps Feature. Just press and hold the Home Key to access and easily switch applications by tapping on thumbnails or swipe away apps that you are done with to close.
Easily create folders by dropping one app on top of another. You can also add a name to specify the folder contents.
The addition of a new Video Calling icon to the apps menu makes it easy for you to begin making video calls to your friends, family, and coworkers with the free video calling apps ooVoo and Tango. These free apps, designed for your mobile phone, let you see and hear the person you’re calling, whether you’re in 4G LTE or WiFi.*
Also, with this upgrade, your device will now run on Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich). Here are some of the key features of this operating system:
- Device is enabled for Global Roaming. Now take advantage of voice and data services in over 220 countries worldwide. For additional information and support please visit www.verizonwireless.com/global.
- New versions of the following applications have been added:
- Backup Assistant Plus
- Newer versions of Google Mobile Services Applications with Enhanced Features
- Video Calling Portal
- Verizon Apps Store
- Faster Browser, Enhanced experience with Visual Tabs and ability to view desktop version of web sites.
Stability and Performance Improvements
- Improved Bluetooth Audio Quality while listening to Music
- Improvements to the Mobile Hotspot performance.
- Enhanced Email Experience with quick response options, improved auto correction & search options
- Reorganized and easier to navigate settings menu, including toggles for airplane mode, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth®.
Via Android Central