Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Android 4.0 update made official by Sprint [UPDATED]Alex Wagner - Senior News Editor
Earlier this week, a leaked document claimed that July 12 would be the day that the Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch would finally be bumped up to Android 4.0. That just so happens to be today, and a quick look over at Sprint's community forums shows that the carrier has indeed officially announced the Epic 4G Touch's Ice Cream Sandwich update. The new software is version S:D710.10S.FF18 and brings with it an update to Android 4.0.4 as well as Google security patches and email enhancements.
The good news is that Epic 4G Touch owners don't have to wait for their taste of ICS, as Sprint says that the FF18 update will be released today. The Android 4.0.4 upgrade will be rolled out to devices in stages, and a note on Sprint's updates page mentions that all phones on the most current prior release will get the new update within 10 days. While Epic 4G Touch owners may have been getting a little antsy while waiting for the device's Android 4.0 update as of late, all that matters now is that the new software is finally here, and we can now cross another Galaxy S II variant off of the "Waiting for ICS" list. If you've got an Epic 4G Touch, keep an eye out for that update!
UPDATE: Sprint has posted an announcement for the Epic 4G Touch's Android 4.0.4 update, explaining that it'll begin rolling out over the air today and should hit all users within the next month. Included in the post is a more fleshed out changelog, which you can find below. Sprint also said that it'll begin offering a Buy One, Get One deal on the Epic 4G Touch starting July 15. The Epic 4G Touch is currently available for $149.99 with a two-year contract and $50 mail-in rebate. Now, for that list of changes:
- A refined, evolved user interface that is simple, beautiful and useful
- Face Unlock: use state-of-the-art facial recognition technology to unlock your phone with a smile
- Redesigned camera which introduces panorama mode, effects like silly faces and background replacement, and a powerful photo editor
- Android Beam™: quickly share web pages, apps, contacts and YouTube™ videos with your friends by simply tapping two Near Field Communication (NFC)-enabled phones together
- Web browser now lets you sync Google Chrome™ bookmarks, request full desktop versions of sites, see your open tabs in a new layout and even store web pages for offline reading
- People: browse friends, family and coworkers, see their photos in high-resolution and check their latest status updates from Google+
- Improved keyboard with incredibly accurate typing, an inline spell checker and improved copy and paste support
- New Calendar app that lets you add events quickly, sync with Google Calendar™ or Microsoft Exchange and even pinch to adjust your calendar display
- Redesigned Gmail™ app that now lets you swipe between conversations to catch up quickly, and search for emails even without a data connection
- Google+ integration that lets you hangout and video chat with up to 10 friends using your front-facing camera