The Motorola Android 4.0 update train will soon be adding another passenger, as Verizon has posted details of the DROID 4's Ice Cream Sandwich update on its support site. The new software is version 6.16.217.XT894.Verizon.en.US and weighs in at 364.1MB. Packed inside that bundle of megabytes is a bump to Android 4.0.4 and the usual goodies that comes with it, like improved an multitasking menu and Motorola's direct access lock screen. DROID 4 owners can also expect global roaming support, Verizon's Remote Diagnostics tool and improvements to camera quality and mobile hotspot. The full DROID 4 Android 4.0.4 changelog is available at the bottom of this post.
Motorola's Android 4.0 update timeline was revised back in May, and at the time it was said that the DROID 4 would be upgraded to ICS sometime in the third quarter. It looks like Moto will meet its goal, although we've yet to hear precisely when this update will begin rolling out. If you're rockin' a DROID 4 and want to check to see if the update has already begun rolling out, you can do so by heading into Menu > Settings > About phone > System updates. Just be sure to stop by the comments section if you find any ice cream sandwiches in there, k?
UPDATE: In a blog post on its official news center, Verizon has announced that the DROID 4's Android 4.0.4 update began rolling out in stages today, August 13.
- The home screen now includes a customizable Launch Bar. You can easily drag apps, shortcuts and folders in and out of the Launch Bar for access from any home screen.
- Enhanced notifications window include access to settings menu and new swipe to dismiss functionality for individual notifications.
DIRECT ACCESS LOCK SCREEN
- The direct access lock screen takes you directly to Camera, Text, Messages, or Unlock.
- Monitor your data usage all in one place. Set warning levels, check individual app usage or turn off data completely.
- Important Note: The on-device Data Usage meter may not match the amount of data for which the customer will be charged by Verizon Wireless.
- The My Verizon Mobile app reflects billable data usage and best indicator of how much of the current month’s data allowance has been used.
- Settings have been organized into logical groups. Take action without leaving the Settings menu.
- Multitask with ease using the Recent Apps Feature. Just press and hold the Home Key to access and easily switch applications by tapping on thumbnails or swipe away apps that you are done with to close.
- Easily create folders by dropping one app on top of another. You can also add a name to specify the folder contents.
- The addition of a new Video Calling icon to the apps menu makes it easy for you to begin making video calls to your friends, family, and coworkers with the free video calling apps ooVoo and Tango. These free apps, designed for your mobile phone, let you see and hear the person you’re calling, whether you’re on 4G LTE or Wi-Fi.*
- *Data usage applies for use of apps.
Issues Corrected / Enhancements -OS Upgrades
- Device is enabled for Global Roaming. Now take advantage of voice and data services in over 205 countries worldwide. For additional information and support please visit www.verizonwireless.com/global.
- Integration of new version of Backup Assistant Plus.
- Mobile IM has been removed.
- Color for Facebook application is preloaded.
Enhanced Customer Support with Verizon Remote Diagnostics
- New customer care solution to improve customer service experience. When a customer calls into Verizon Wireless customer care, this solution, with the customer’s permission, allows support personnel to remotely view the user’s device for device training, application demonstrations and troubleshooting.
Email / Messaging
- Improved Stability and connectivity with Email.
- Successfully download and save ringtones.
Stability and Performance Improvements
- Mobile Hotspot – Improved connectivity.
- Reduced device resets and power cycling.
- Camera quality has been improved for better pictures.
- Improved My Gallery performance.
- Voice Mail Notification shows the correct of unread messages.
- Updated Mobile Hotspots Icon.
- Visual Voice Mail shortcut on home screen changed to a standard voicemail shortcut.
- Clear Contact pictures are displayed for phonebook contacts.
Via Droid-Life, Verizon (1), (2)