Verizon Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 Ice Cream Sandwich update details revealedAlex Wagner - Editorial Director of News and Content
Looks like it's about time for another Verizon Android tablet to get the Ice Cream Sandwich bump. Verizon has updated its Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 support page with details on the device's update to Android 4.0.4, which is software version i815.LP10. The update weighs in at 283.1MB and includes ICS goodies like Face Unlock as well as a new home screen layout, calculator app and support for Read and Delivery receipts in email. The full changelog awaits you at the bottom of this post.
Verizon promised waaaaay back in early March that the Galaxy Tab 7.7 would be updated to Ice Cream Sandwich, and so it's nice to see that the new software is finally about ready to roll. There's no word yet on when the GalTab 7.7's update will actually begin pushing out to users, but users interested in snagging the thing just as soon as it's available can check for it manually by going into Settings > About device > System updates. Got a Verizon Galaxy Tab 7.7 in your possession? Don't forget to swing by the comments section below once you get ICS installed to tell us all about how it's working for you! We're all ears.
NEW HOMESCREEN LAYOUT
- Widget tab has been added to enable adding widgets to the Homescreen.
- The addition of a new Video Calling icon to the apps menu makes it easy for you to begin making video calls to your friends, family, and coworkers with the free video calling apps ooVoo and Tango. These free apps, designed for your mobile device, let you see and hear the person you’re calling, whether you’re in 4G LTE or WiFi.
- Settings have been organized into logical groups. Take action without leaving the Settings menu.
- Monitor your data usage all in one place. Set warning levels, check individual app usage or turn off data completely.
- Important Note: The on-device Data Usage meter may not match the amount of data for which the customer will be charged by Verizon Wireless.
- The My Verizon Mobile app reflects billable data usage and best indicator of how much of the current month’s data allowance has been used.
- Calculator will display a “Keep It Simple” basic calculator. The Scientific Calculator will appear when switched to Landscape Mode.
Additional feature enhancements with this software release include:
- In Email search menu, Advanced option combines search criteria with date, sender & title.
- Quick Panel has been updated to include Power Saving, Driving Mode and Sync.
- In Email Composer, Undo and Redo options are added to easily correct mistakes. Undo reverses the last action performed, and Redo undoes the last Undo action.
- Support for email Read receipt and Delivery receipt.
- Quick Response , user-modifiable message that may be quickly inserted into the body while user is composing a message.
- New Meeting Invitation for Exchange accounts added.
- Redesigned Gallery app with photo editor.
- More ways to sort albums by time, location, people and tags.
- Photo studio: Users can crop and rotate pictures, set levels, remove red eyes, add effects, and more.
- Improve Picture Gallery widget lets users look at pictures directly on their home screen.
- Applied Android Ice Cream (ICS) OS upgrade to 4.0.4
- Face Unlock Feature included.
- Pinch to Zoom functionality has been added in Home Screen and Main Menu Screen.
- Google Plus has been integrated in the upgrade.
- Updated Music app to include new menu icons.
- Desktop View has been added to the Internet Browser.