LG Lucid Ice Cream Sandwich update available starting today [UPDATED]Alex Wagner - Editorial Director of News and Content
When Verizon launched the LG Lucid 4G back in March, the carrier promised that it was upgradable to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, but it gave no timeframe in which that update might arrive. It looks like that time has come, as Verizon announced today that the Lucid's ICS update is now rolling out. The bump up to Android 4.0 is now pushing out over the air to the Lucid, but Verizon notes that it's going out in phases, so some owners may have to wait before the OTA hits their neck of the woods. Lucid owners that don't feel like waiting for the over the air update can also install it using their computer and the Software Upgrade Assistant Tool, instructions for which can be found here.
As for what the update entails, it'll bring Lucid owners up to Ice Cream Sandwich and include features like an enhanced notification bar, customizable lock screen and and Multimedia Pop Up, which "allows for easy sharing of multimedia content." Verizon has yet to post the full changelog for this update on the Lucid's support page, but I'll update you when it does. Until then, you Lucid owners can either start searching for the update on your phone or firing up the Software Upgrade Assistant Tool on your computer. Be sure to give us a shout in the comments below once you get ICS installed!
UPDATE: Verizon has updated its announcement, saying that the the Lucid's Ice Cream Sandwich will actually begin rolling out tomorrow, October 19.
UPDATE 2: Verizon has now posted the support documents for the Lucid's Ice Cream Sandwich update. The new software, which weighs in at 384.5MB, will bring the Lucid up to Android 4.0.4 and is version VS840ZV7. Here's the full changelog:
CUSTOMIZABLE LOCK SCREEN
- Fast access to desired applications from the lock screen. Simply swipe up for direct access to your phone, email, text messages or any application added to this screen.
- The home screen now includes a customizable Launch Bar. You can easily drag apps, shortcuts and folders in or out of the Launch Bar for access from any home screen.
ALL APPS SCREEN
- Add widgets, downloads and apps to your homescreen panels via the All Apps Screen and the Widget Screen.
- Easily create folders by dropping one app on top of another. You can also add a name to specify the folder contents.
- Enhanced notifications window includes access to settings menu and new swipe to dismiss functionality for individual notifications.
QUICK DIALER WIDGET
- ‘Auto Suggestion’ and ‘Add to Contacts’ capabilities enhance quick dial when a new contact is added. Voicemail can be accessed from the dialpad.
MULTIMEDIA MESSAGING POP UP
- Directly link to the Messaging app through the ‘View’ button on menu.
Here are some featured enhancements included with this software release:
Now enabled with Verizon Remote Diagnostics Tool (VRD).
New customer care solution to improve customer service experience. When a customer calls into Verizon Wireless customer care, this solution, with the customer’s permission, allows support personnel to remotely view the user’s device for device training, application demonstrations and troubleshooting.
File Manager will manage the online files on the online storage.
Google Talk (GTalk) video chat has been updated for better stability.
Firmware Over The Air (FOTA) is supported.
Watch & Learn videos are supported via streaming.
Adobe Flash Player (v11) has been updated for compatibility with Ice Cream Sandwich device and performance improvements.
Improved voice clarity during voice calls.
Power button turns on LCD backlight while on a voice call.
Via Verizon Wireless