Motorola DROID Bionic Ice Cream Sandwich update officially detailed by Verizon [UPDATED]
Get excited, Motorola DROID Bionic owners. Your device's Ice Cream Sandwich update, which was originally slated to arrive sometime early in the third quarter, finally appears to be ready to roll. Verizon has updated the Bionic's support page on its website with information on the new software, which is version 6.7.246.XT875.Verizon.en.US. The update will bring the Bionic up to Android 4.0.4 and includes quite a few goodies, including Motorola's SmartActions app, improved Google Calendar sync and better mobile hotspot connectivity. Also included is a new home screen launch bar and a direct access lock screen. The full changelog provided by Verizon is available at the bottom of this post.
There's been a lot of noise surrounding the Bionic and its ICS update lately, with one Motorola exec admitting that owners have "gotten a raw deal." Motorola recently refreshed its Android upgrade timeline, moving the Bionic's Android 4.0 update to the fourth quarter, and now it looks like owners won't be waiting much longer. There's no word yet on when the rollout of this 368.4MB update will officially begin rolling out, but we'll let you know when we hear more. Until then, eager Bionic users can check for it manually by heading into Menu > Settings > About phone > System Updates.
UPDATE: Verizon has confirmed the DROID Bionic's Ice Cream Sandwich update, saying that the bump up to Android 4.0.4 will start rolling out in phases tomorrow, October 19.
- The home screen now includes a customizable Launch Bar. You can easily drag apps, shortcuts and folders in or out of the Launch Bar for access from any home screen.
DIRECT ACCESS LOCK
- The direct access lock screen takes you directly to Camera, Text, Messages, or Unlock screens.
- Easily create folders by dropping one app on top of another. You can also add a name to specify the folder contents.
- Multitask with ease using the Recent Apps Feature. Just press and hold the Home Key to access and easily switch applications by tapping on thumbnails or swipe away apps that you are done with to close.
- Monitor your data usage all in one place. Set warning levels, check individual app usage or turn off data completely.
- Enhanced notifications window include access to settings menu and new swipe to dismiss functionality for individual notifications.
Additional Software Update Enhancements and Updates:
- Mobile IM has been removed
- New versions of the following applications have been added:
- Verizon Remote Diagnostics (VRD)
- My Verizon
- Amazon Kindle
- GoTo Meeting application
- Blockbuster application
- Citrix Receiver
Email / Messaging
- Resolved issues with AOL email and AOL Connectivity Error.
- Improved Text Message Delivery.
- Enhanced connectivity and reliability of Visual Voicemail (VVM).
Stability and Performance Improvements
- Improved sync with Google® Calendar.
- Mobile Hotspot has improved Data Connectivity.
- Global Roaming Notification warning appears within the Verizon Wireless extended network.
- Backup Assistant has improved connectivity and stability.
- GetDeviceID API is now available.
- Improvements to Google® Play auto restore have been made.
- User is able to add and delete Facebook accounts from the device.