Samsung Galaxy S III to begin arriving at MetroPCS stores this weekend for $499Alex Wagner - Senior News Editor
MetroPCS said that it was coming, and now the carrier has officially announced the launch and pricing details for its Samsung Galaxy S III. The MetroPCS Galaxy S III will be available in select stores starting this weekend, and it'll be making its way to all stores and appearing online on October 22. When it comes to pricing, interested customers can expect to pay $499 plus tax for the Galaxy S III, which comes sans any kind of contract. MetroPCS says that the Galaxy S III is compatible with any of its 4G LTE service plans, which range from $30 to $70 in price.
The Samsung Galaxy S III touts a 4.8-inch 1280x720 HD Super AMOLED display, 1.5GHz dual-core processor, 8-megapixel rear and 1.9-megapixel cameras, NFC, mobile hotspot support and Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. While it may be arriving on MetroPCS a few months after launching on other U.S. carriers, it's still good to see the Galaxy S III making its way to more carriers and helping to expand Metro's high-end Android lineup. So now that we've finally got pricing and availability information, are any of you MetroPCS customers thinking about pulling the trigger on a Galaxy S III?
MetroPCS Blends First Class Smartphone and No Annual Contract 4G LTE Service with Availability of Samsung Galaxy S III
Samsung’s Best-Selling and Feature-Rich Android Smartphone Brings Premium Choice to 4G LTE Line-up
DALLAS (October 19, 2012) – The wait is over for consumers looking for the Galaxy S® III from Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile) without being shackled to a lengthy wireless commitment. MetroPCS Communications, Inc. (NYSE: PCS) announced today that it is offering consumers more choice and value as the only no annual contract 4GLTE wireless service provider to offer the Galaxy S III, Samsung’s best-selling premium Android™ smartphone. The Galaxy S III will be available in select stores this weekend, and in all MetroPCS stores and online at www.metropcs.com beginning Monday, October 22.
Together, the Samsung Galaxy S III and MetroPCS’ 4GLTE service plans deliver an unmatched value to consumers unwilling to compromise on handset or service. Priced at $499 plus tax, the Galaxy S III is available on any of MetroPCS’ affordable 4GLTE service plans, which range from $30 - $70 per month, including the limited-time promotional plans of 4G LTE for $30 or unlimited talk, text and 4GLTE data for $55 per month (taxes and regulatory fees included). When comparing total costs of both the smartphone and rate plans with other 4G LTE operators, consumers can save approximately $1,200 or more over the course of two years (based on MetroPCS’ current $55 4GLTE rate plan).
“We are excited to make the Samsung Galaxy S III smartphone available to our no annual contract subscribers,” said Tom Keys, president and chief operating officer of MetroPCS. “With roughly one million 4G LTE customers already, we recognize that many want a premier smartphone that offers an array of high-end features and runs on our 4G LTE network. Available with any of our 4G LTE service plans, this smartphone offers a postpaid experience at a tremendous value to our consumers.”
Not merely for consumers who demand more affordability than ever, the feature rich Galaxy S III at MetroPCS makes it easy for people to share content and experiences, quickly navigate applications and support a multitude of tasks.
The Galaxy S III at a Glance
- Lightning-fast response times and serious multi-tasking support thanks to advanced 1.5 GHz dual-core processor and 2GB of RAM memory
- 4.8 inch 720P HD SuperAMOLED™ screen
- 8MP back and 1.9MP front cameras with features such as Burst Shot™ to capture still pictures at a rapid-fire pace with zero shutter lag; Best Shot that recommends the best picture to keep based on colors, lighting and clarity; and Share Shot, that allows other Galaxy S III users to quickly and wirelessly share pictures from up to 200 feet away over Wi-Fi®AllShare® Play streams videos, photos and music to various connected devices including TVs and speakers, remotely accesses files and shares group presentations and photos
- S Beam shares content and information – pictures, maps, contacts, calendars, etc. – by simply touching two Galaxy S III phones together
- Enhanced gesture controls to minimize unnecessary screen touches or softkey use
- Pop Up Play delivers video picture-in-picture so users can multitask with entertainment while accomplishing the day’s tasks
- Near Field Communication (NFC) support
- Support for MetroPCS 4GLTE Mobile Hotspot service (available for an additional monthly charge)
For more information, please visit:
Details on rate plans and service features: www.metropcs.com/plans
MetroPCS Terms and Conditions of Service: http://www.metropcs.com/metro/tac/termsAndConditions.jsp?terms=Terms%20and%20Conditions%20of%20Service
Press resources: www.metropcs.com/presscenter
Follow MetroPCS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/metropcs
Become a fan of MetroPCS on Facebook: www.facebook.com/metropcs
View MetroPCS’ latest videos: www.YouTube.com/metropcs
 Samsung Mobile is the No. 1 mobile phone provider in the United States based upon reported shipment data, according to Strategy Analytics, North America Handset Vendor Marketshare, Q2 2012.
Samsung, Galaxy, Galaxy S, AMOLED, AllShare and Burst Shot and are all trademarks of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. Android is a trademark of Google Inc. All other company names, product names and marks are the property of their respective owners and may be trademarks or registered trademarks.