Well, that didn't take long. Shortly after the Motorola DROID RAZR M's Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update changelog leaked out, Verizon has officially announced when the new software will begin rolling out to the public. The DROID RAZR M's bump up to Jelly Bean will be pushing out in phases starting today, November 9. Customers that want to manually pull the update themselves will be able to do so "within the next week" by going into Settings > About phone > System updates.
The RAZR M's Android 4.1 update is software version 98.12.4.XT907.Verizon.en.US and weighs in at 254.1MB. When it comes to what's packed inside, users can expect Jelly Bean goodies like Google Now and expandable notifications along with additional enhancements such as improved Mobile Hotspot data connectivity, Isis support and improvements to voice and data connectivity quality.
While we've known since the RAZR M's introduction that its Jelly Bean update would arrive before 2013, it's still good to see Moto and Verizon roll it out in early November rather than make users wait until the very end of the year. If you've got a DROID RAZR M of your very own, be sure to shout out in the comments below once your Jelly Bean update arrives!
- Sometimes you’d rather just speak your search query. Or just ask a question. Android lets you search the web with your voice, and it’s convenient for getting quick answers on the fly. It speaks back to you and is powered by The Knowledge Graph, bringing you a precise answer if it knows it, and precisely ranked search results, so you can always find out more.
- Take action directly from the notifications panel. Send emails, return calls, share photos and more. Notifications are expandable. Get an even deeper look into the things that matter most: scan multiple emails, see event details or full images and more.
- More accurate, more relevant dictionaries. Jelly Bean’s keyboard guesses the next word before you type it. Voice typing now works even when you don’t have a data connection. Text-to-Speech capabilities have been improved.
- Just the right information at just the right time. Get today’s weather before you start your day, how much traffic to expect before you leave for work, when the next train will arrive as you’re standing on the platform, or your favorite team’s score while they’re playing. Cards appear throughout the day automatically whenever you need them.
ADDITIONAL JELLY BEAN ENHANCEMENTS
- Personalize your home screen easily by placing widgets directly on the screen
- More reactive and uniform touch responses, so you can move between home screens with more intuitive graphics and smoother transitions
- Widgets now resize automatically when they are too big
- Circles widget has been updated to enable instant updating
- Improved voice and data connectivity quality, reducing instances of losing 3G and 4G services
- Reduced time needed to access GPS signal
- Contacts sync more often, eliminating the need to wait for manual or nighttime sync
- Improvements to Setup Wizard UI makes the email setup experience more user friendly
- Native calendar settings have been improved for better user experience
- Improved Mobile Hotspot data connectivity
- Improved reliability and connectivity of Back Up Assistant Plus & Visual Voicemail
- Verizon Remote Diagnostics has been updated
- New QuickOffice® version has been integrated
- New VZ Navigator application addresses several stability issues
- Video Calling Portal App have been added.
- Integrated new VZWAPPs Version
- Color Application had been removed
- Device now includes support for the Isis Mobile Wallet; a new way to shop, pay and save. The Isis Mobile Wallet holds virtual versions of most things your existing wallet does - including select payment cards. Just tap your phone to pay at hundreds of retailers. For more information on the Isis Mobile Wallet please visit verizonwireless.com/Isis
- Improved connectivity when using Wi-Fi
- Multimedia Messaging delivery has been improved
- Improved Bluetooth Connectivity
Via Verizon Wireless