Nokia Here Maps app for iOS now available for downloadAlex Wagner - Senior News Editor
Just one week after Nokia unveiled its newly-rebranded Here mapping service and said that an iOS app was coming, the software is indeed here. Available now in the App Store, the Here Maps app is available for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad and is optimized for the iPhone 5's display. The app requires iOS 4.3 or later. As promised, Here Maps includes voice-guided walking navigation as well as driving directions and public transportation information. There's also the ability to save favorite locations to a Collection, which can then be synced to a Nokia account and viewed on Here.net, and a saved maps functionality that gives users an estimate on how much detail their saved maps will have based on the size of the area that they'd like to download.
The Here Maps app for iOS features a look (including its app icon) that's a tad reminiscent of Symbian with the Nokia Belle update. The app worked fairly well in my few minutes of messing with it, finding most of the locations I entered and offering directions for walking and driving, though it wasn't able to offer public transit routing for any of the destinations I tried. If you're desperate for a dedicated app to replace Apple's own Maps offering, though, Here Maps may be worth checking out. It's available from iTunes right here, and Nokia's full feature list for the app is available below.
- Map views – Pick the map you need from map view, live traffic view, public transport line view or satellite view
- Save map areas & wander without data coverage
- In selected countries, access community maps created and updated by users
- Maps, search and place coverage for nearly 200 countries
- Search with history and suggestions
- Share places with just a tap, including the location and how to get there, over SMS, email, or social networks
- Organize places you love into Collections
- Sign in to HERE Maps with your Nokia Account or Facebook login
- Sync with Here.net – Access your Collections anywhere
- Step-by-Step voice-guided walk navigation
- Walk navigation through pedestrian routes, parks, alleyways, and more
- Public transportation and driving directions