Verizon shares Samsung Galaxy S III Jelly Bean update detailsAlex Wagner - Deputy Managing Editor, News Desk
Good news this afternoon for Samsung Galaxy S III owners on Verizon that need a little treat to get over the mid-week hump, as the big red carrier has posted the support documents for its Galaxy S III Jelly Bean update. The docs show that the update weighs in at 62MB and will bring the Verizon Galaxy S III up to software version JRO03L.I535VRBLK3. As one would expect from a bump up to Android 4.1, this update includes Google Now and expandable notifications. Along with the usual Jelly Bean enhancements, S III users can expect and improved version of S Voice, support for both global roaming and Isis Mobile Wallet, and tweaks to help the device reconnect to previously-used Wi-Fi hotspots.
While Verizon has supplied the majority of the information related to the Galaxy S III's Jelly Bean update in today's support docs, the carrier hasn't yet said when the update will begin rolling out, which is one of the most important details of all. Considering that the Android 4.1 has already hit the S III's on the other three major carriers, though, I'm betting that many S III folk on Big Red are just happy to see that their Verizon-flavored Jelly Bean is nearly here. We'll give you a shout once Verizon opens up with a rollout start date. Until then, you can grab your soon-to-be-updated S III and read Verizon's full update changelog (in which Verizon refers to Google Now as "Google Plus") while waiting for I535VRBLK3 to make its way to your neck of the woods.
- Just the right information at just the right time. Get today’s weather before you start your day, how much traffic to expect before you leave for work, and when the next train will arrive as you’re standing on the platform.
- Includes the most up to date version of Google Maps with “voice typing.”
- S-Voice has been improved for better voice recognition. S-Voice and Smart Share now work together seamlessly.
- Take action directly from the notifications panel. Send emails, return calls, share photos, and more. Also enjoy expandable notifications.
- Take advantage of an enhanced and more accurate SWYPE Keyboard.
- Direct access to desired apps through an easy to use user interface called “Starter Mode”.
- Take advantage of 11 new Photo Effect Filters
- Widgets can be resized to fit them where you need them to be.
SUPPORT ENHANCEMENTS AND UPGRADES
- Global Support
- Device is enabled for Global Roaming. Now take advantage of voice and data services in over 205 countries worldwide. For additional information and support please visit verizonwireless.com/global
- Isis Mobile Wallet
- Device now includes support for the Isis Mobile Wallet™ Shop, pay, and save with your phone using the Isis Mobile Wallet. The Isis Mobile Wallet holds virtual versions of most things your existing wallet does such as payment cards, loyalty cards and coupons. Just tap your phone to pay at any Isis Ready™ merchant.
- For more information on the Isis Mobile Wallet please visit verizonwireless.com/Isis.
- Note: Isis is available in select markets only. A new Sim Card and special software will be required to use the Isis Mobile Wallet.
- Improved connectivity and reliability when syncing Google and POP-3 e-mail accounts.
- Enhancements made to improve accuracy of predictive text.
- Automatic Set Up option has been enabled when setting up a Road Runner email account.
- Improved accuracy and runs reliability of Weather application.
- Visual Voicemail has been updated to ensure proper delivery of notifications.
- Fixed resets that were sometimes seen when trying to connect to a VPN client.
- Support for opening attachments in .ics format.
- Now supports Software Upgrade Assistant; installs and runs automatically when plugged in to your computer’s USB port.
- Missed Call Log has been updated to ensure accuracy.
- Enhancements have been made to ensure the reliability of Back Up Assistant Plus.
- Improvements made to automatically reconnect to known previously used Wi-Fi sources hot spots.
- Verizon Accessories Application has been added as a preload.