Are you Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III owners jonesing for your taste of Jelly Bean after the release of the update's support documents yesterday? If so, I've got some good news for you, as Verizon has announced that the Android 4.1 update for its Galaxy S III will start rolling out in phases tomorrow, December 14. The big red carrier notes that any S III owners that'd like to manually install the update from the device's Settings menu will be able to do so "within the next week."
Included with the Galaxy S III's update are the usual Jelly Bean trappings, including Google Now, as well as some camera filters and support for the Isis Mobile Wallet, which is currently undergoing trials in Austin and Salt Lake City. The update will also give make the S III a Global Ready device, giving customers the option of using it for voice and data service in over 205 countries.
For those that are curious, the Verizon Galaxy S III's Jelly Bean update comes in at 62MB in size and will bring the handset up to software version JRO03L.I535VRBLK3. While Verizon's S III is the last of the big four carrier models to be updated to Android 4.1, the good news is that it won't be long before the wait for the update can come to an end. If you need some help killing time until December 14 rolls around, you can find Verizon's full changelog for the Jelly Bean update below.
- Just the right information at just the right time. Get today’s weather before you start your day, how much traffic to expect before you leave for work, and when the next train will arrive as you’re standing on the platform.
- Includes the most up to date version of Google Maps with “voice typing.”
- S-Voice has been improved for better voice recognition. S-Voice and Smart Share now work together seamlessly.
- Take action directly from the notifications panel. Send emails, return calls, share photos, and more. Also enjoy expandable notifications.
- Take advantage of 11 new Photo Effect Filters
- Take advantage of an enhanced and more accurate SWYPE Keyboard.
- Widgets can be resized to fit them where you need them to be.
SUPPORT ENHANCEMENTS AND UPGRADES
- Global Support
- Device is enabled for Global Roaming. Now take advantage of voice and data services in over 205 countries worldwide. For additional information and support please visit verizonwireless.com/global
- Isis Mobile Wallet
- Device now includes support for the Isis Mobile Wallet™ Shop, pay, and save with your phone using the Isis Mobile Wallet. The Isis Mobile Wallet holds virtual versions of most things your existing wallet does such as payment cards, loyalty cards and coupons. Just tap your phone to pay at any Isis Ready™ merchant.
- For more information on the Isis Mobile Wallet please visit verizonwireless.com/Isis.
- Note: Isis is available in select markets only. A new Sim Card and special software will be required to use the Isis Mobile Wallet.
- Improved connectivity and reliability when syncing Google and POP-3 e-mail accounts.
- Enhancements made to improve accuracy of predictive text.
- Automatic Set Up option has been enabled when setting up a Road Runner email account.
- Improved accuracy and runs reliability of Weather application.
- Visual Voicemail has been updated to ensure proper delivery of notifications.
- Fixed resets that were sometimes seen when trying to connect to a VPN client.
- Support for opening attachments in .ics format.
- Now supports Software Upgrade Assistant; installs and runs automatically when plugged in to your computer’s USB port.
- Missed Call Log has been updated to ensure accuracy.
- Enhancements have been made to ensure the reliability of Back Up Assistant Plus.
- Improvements made to automatically reconnect to known previously used Wi-Fi sources hot spots.
- Verizon Accessories Application has been added as a preload.
Via Verizon Wireless (1), (2)