HTC ThunderBolt Ice Cream Sandwich update details posted by VerizonAlex Wagner - Editorial Director of News and Content
The HTC ThunderBolt's Ice Cream Sandwich update has been a long time coming, but today Verizon finally revealed the details of the update for its first 4G LTE smartphone. The update is software version 7.02.605.06 710RD and will bump the ThunderBolt up to Android 4.0.4 as well as version 3.6 of HTC's Sense overlay. Once the update dust has settled and ICS is installed, ThunderBolt owners can expect to find goodies like Face Unlock, a customizable launch bar, lock screen notifications and increased device stability thanks to a reduction in device resets. Verizon's full changelog for the update can be found at the bottom of this post.
The Android 4.0.4 update for the HTC ThunderBolt weighs in at 395.6MB, and Verizon says that owners will be notified once the update is available for download on their device. There's no word yet on when the rollout is expected to begin, but it typically doesn't take long for the push to start after Verizon's support documents go up.
While Android 4.0.4 is a couple of versions behind what the latest devices like the Nexus 4 are currently running, Ice Cream Sandwich is certainly a step up from Android 2.3 Gingerbread, which is what the ThunderBolt was running before this update. It's good to see HTC and Verizon stick to their word and provide an ICS update for the ThunderBolt, and it's kind of crazy to see the TBolt getting such a major update nearly two years after its release. Stay tuned and we'll update you when we hear more about this update's expected start date. Are any of you out there still rocking an HTC ThunderBolt?
- The home screen now includes a customizable Launch Bar. You can easily drag apps, shortcuts and folders in or out of the launch bar for instant access from any home screen.
LOCK SCREEN NOTIFICATIONS
- Accessing your notifications is just a swipe away, even when your device is locked. Users can now dismiss individual notifications with a simple swipe of a finger. HTC Sense provides a richer lock screen experience with more lock screen styles, shortcuts to apps and more.
- Easily unlock your phone with face recognition, no typing required. Alternative PIN or Password serves as additional security.
- Monitor your data usage all in one place. Set warning levels, check individual app usage or turn off data completely.
- Easily create folders by dropping one app on top of another.
- Multitask with ease using the Recent Apps feature. Easily switch applications by tapping on thumbnails or swipe away applications that you’re done with to close.
Additional updates to this software upgrade include:
- Verizon Remote Diagnostics has been added.
- New customer care solution to improve customer service experience. When a customer calls into Verizon Wireless customer care, this solution, with the customer’s permission, allows support personnel to remotely view the user’s device for device training, application demonstrations and troubleshooting.
- Improved device stability will decrease device resets.
- Verizon Apps, Blockbuster, Rhapsody, Verizon Video and Mobile IM app have been removed.