HTC ThunderBolt Ice Cream Sandwich update now hitting devices [UPDATED]Alex Wagner - Editorial Director of News and Content
Your day has finally come, HTC ThunderBolt owners! After revealing the details of the TBolt's Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich update last week, it appears that Verizon has now started pushing the new software to devices in the wild. Several XDA-developers forum members are reporting that they've gotten the ICS update, which comes in at a beefy 395.6MB in size and brings with it goodies like HTC Sense 3.6, Face Unlock, a new home screen Launch Bar and improved device stability. The full changelog is available at the bottom of this post.
The HTC ThunderBolt launched nearly two years ago as Verizon's first 4G LTE smartphone, meaning that if handsets could age like people, the TBolt would have gray hair and would be using its kickstand as a walking cane at this point. That's why it's good to see the TBolt finally getting a taste of Ice Cream Sandwich. As I mentioned before, this may not be Google's latest dessert, but it's certainly a step up from Android 2.3 Gingerbread and ought to be a nice upgrade for anyone that's still living with the ThunderBolt as their daily driver. If that's you, head on into Settings > Software update > Check new to see if you've got an Ice Cream Sandwich waiting for you.
UPDATE: Verizon has confirmed that the ThunderBolt's ICS update starts going out today, Feb. 5, and that it'll be rolling out in phases.
- The home screen now includes a customizable Launch Bar. You can easily drag apps, shortcuts and folders in or out of the launch bar for instant access from any home screen.
LOCK SCREEN NOTIFICATIONS
- Accessing your notifications is just a swipe away, even when your device is locked. Users can now dismiss individual notifications with a simple swipe of a finger. HTC Sense provides a richer lock screen experience with more lock screen styles, shortcuts to apps and more.
- Easily unlock your phone with face recognition, no typing required. Alternative PIN or Password serves as additional security.
- Monitor your data usage all in one place. Set warning levels, check individual app usage or turn off data completely.
- Easily create folders by dropping one app on top of another.
- Multitask with ease using the Recent Apps feature. Easily switch applications by tapping on thumbnails or swipe away applications that you’re done with to close.
Additional updates to this software upgrade include:
- Verizon Remote Diagnostics has been added.
- New customer care solution to improve customer service experience. When a customer calls into Verizon Wireless customer care, this solution, with the customer’s permission, allows support personnel to remotely view the user’s device for device training, application demonstrations and troubleshooting.
- Improved device stability will decrease device resets.
- Verizon Apps, Blockbuster, Rhapsody, Verizon Video and Mobile IM app have been removed.