BlackBerry 10 update rolling out to the Z10 with battery life and camera improvementsAlex Wagner - Deputy Managing Editor, News Desk
The BlackBerry Z10 has now been official for around a month, meaning that many Z10 owners have likely only had their device for a few weeks now. It looks like those users will soon have some new software to go along with their new phone, as BlackBerry announced today that it's started to roll out an update to BlackBerry 10 devices. The new update has some pretty notable improvements packed in, including ones related to camera performance and battery life. Here are the major enhancements that BlackBerry says users will be getting:
- Improved third-party app performance
- Fixes for Gmail calendars, better call logs and conversation handling in the BlackBerry Hub and enhancements related to importing contacts
- Better low-light camera performance
- Improvements to the way that the BlackBerry 10 browser plays videos
- Several optimizations that will bring better battery life and a longer average usage per charge cycle
This new update is software version 10.0.10.85, and BlackBerry says that it's already rolling out from some carriers. The company adds that it's working with other operators to get the update pushed out quickly. In order to snag the new software, users can manually check for the 150MB update by going into Settings > Software Updates > Check for Updates. This update sounds like a biggie for folks that already have a Z10, and it's good to see BlackBerry working to get new software out to users and improve the Z10 just a month after launch. Those of us in the U.S. are still waiting for the Z10 to launch on AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon, but if you've got an unlocked unit or are located in a country where the Z10 has already made its debut, get to hammering on that "Check for Updates" button!