Verizon Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 receiving Jelly Bean updatesAlex Wagner - Senior News Editor
A couple of months after Samsung updated the Wi-Fi-only versions of its Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 tablets to Jelly Bean, it appears that Verizon has begun updating its versions of those devices to Android 4.1. Users in the Android Central forums and the XDA-developers forums report that they recently received updates to Android 4.1.2 on both the Verizon Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and Verizon Galaxy Tab 2 10.1. The official Verizon support pages for those two tablets confirm that the Jelly Bean updates are ready, but so far we haven't heard anything official from Big Red about the start of their rollouts.
According to Verizon's support pages, the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0's Jelly Bean update weighs in at 549.6MB and is software version JZO54K.I705VRBLL2, while the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1's update comes in at 511.7MB and is version JZO54K.I915VRBMA3. Both updates contain the usual Jelly Bean features like Google Now, and there are also some Google Security Patches and various other enhancements for the two Samsung-made slates. The full changelogs for both the Tab 2 7.0 and Tab 2 10.1 can be found at the bottom of this post.
While I'm sure that the owners of these Verizon-branded Galaxy tablets would've preferred to get their Jelly Bean updates a bit closer to the original rollout of the Wi-Fi-only models, it's good to finally see both models getting a bump up to Android 4.1.2. These updates contain quite a few important enhancements, including increased smoothness thanks to Project Butter, so anyone that owns Verizon's Tab 2 7.0 or Tab 2 10.1 will want to keep an eye out for these suckers. Updates typically go out in phases, but users can also try checking for the new software manually by heading into Settings > About device > System updates. Don't forget to give us a shout when Android 4.1.2 lands on your tablet!
Verizon Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 changelog
- User will enjoy real-time updates through the Google server based on accumulated behavior and location.
- User can remotely access files through 4G LTE or Wi-Fi from their home PC on their phone, quickly transfer a file from their phone to tablet.
- Devices must have a Samsung account and AllShare Play app.
- In order for AllShare Play to work, your devices need to be connected to the Internet, so you’ll need a Data or Wi-Fi connection. When you’re on the go, you can use AllShare Play with your mobile device over the web. Keep in mind, data rates may apply.
POP UP PLAY
- Watching videos while you multi-task with Pop Up Play.
- Access point to App tray has been added, along with additional softkey updates.
- Group cast allows for a multi content sharing experience, with photo, document and music sharing and real-time “local” interaction.
- Mini Apps consolidates easily accessed applications from a bottom-side tray on main screen, so user can experience a new dimension in tablet-based multitasking. Launch favorite features such as music player or calendar as pop-ups over full screen application. Supported Mini Apps: Alarm, Calculator, Calendar, Email, Music Player, Task Manager and World Clock.
- User will enjoy a changeable Keyboard, with the option of a Qwery Keyboard or a Floating Keyboard.
ADDITIONAL DEVICE ENHANCEMENTS
- Sync & Connect email updates
- Movies purchased from the Google Play store can be viewed
- Backup Assistant & Media has been improved
- Google Security Patches added
- Faster and Smoother screen transitions
- Enhanced Google Maps
- Offline Google Maps
- Voice Typing Support
- Free Style Widget
- Automatic widget size adjustment
Verizon Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 changelog
- Icons have been added to the lock screen.
- Google Now has been added.
- Take more action from the Notification Panel.
ADDITIONAL DEVICE ENHANCEMENTS
- Operating system has been updated to version 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean)
- VPN Client has been moved to the Settings Menu.
- Event list frame has been added to Calendar
- Google Security Patches added for additional security.
- Zooming solution in the user interface has been implemeted
- Translucent icons can now be non-translucent or opaque
- Sync and Connect email server has been updated
- Improvements have been made to Back Up Assistant Plus
- Music player application has been updated