Motorola DROID 4 Jelly Bean update details posted by Verizon [UPDATED]Alex Wagner - Senior News Editor
It looks like Motorola is starting to get on a bit of a Jelly Bean roll. Following the DROID RAZR and Electrify 2 Jelly Bean launches, Verizon today revealed that it has approved the Android 4.1 update for the Motorola DROID 4, which weighs in at 356MB and is software version 98.72.18.XT894.Verizon.en.US. As is to be expected with a Jelly Bean update, DROID 4 owners will receive Google Now, expandable notifications and Voice Search with the update. Packed alongside those goodies are some nice device enhancements, though, such as enhancements to voice, data and Mobile Hotspot as well as improved calendar settings. We've got the full changelog for the update in an easy-to-read bulleted list at the bottom of this post.
While the Motorola DROID 4 has never seemed to get as much love from Verizon as its DROID-branded brethren, the device is part of a dying breed of QWERTY-equipped smartphones, making it an appealing smartphone for folks that are still addicted to physical keyboards. Now it won't be long before those folks are pounding away on their hardware buttons while enjoying Project Butter and all of the other new features that Jelly Bean brings. Verizon hasn't said exactly when the DROID 4's Android 4.1 update will start rolling out, but considering how we've seen Big Red handle major updates in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if we hear more soon. Are any of you rockin' a DROID 4 as your daily driver?
UPDATE: Verizon just announced that the DROID 4's Android 4.1 update will begin rolling out in phases on March 19, aka tomorrow. Get ready, DROID 4 owners!
- Sometimes you’d rather just speak your search query. Android lets you search the web with your voice, and it’s convenient for getting quick answers. It speaks back to you and is powered by the Knowledge Graph, bringing you precise answers and ranked search results.
- Take action directly from the notifications panel. Send emails, return calls, share photos and more. Notifications are expandable and you scan multiple emails, see event details or full images and more.
- More accurate and relevant dictionaries have been implemented. Jelly Bean’s keyboard guesses the next word before you type it and voice typing now works even when you don’t have a data connection. Text-to-Speech capabilities have been improved.
- Just the right information at just the right time. Get today’s weather before you start your day and know when the next train will arrive as you’re standing on the platform. Cards appear throughout the day automatically.
ADDITIONAL JELLY BEAN ENHANCEMENTS
- Move between Home screens with intuitive graphics and smooth transitions.
- Enjoy reactive and uniform touch responses.
- Personalize home screen easily by placing widgets directly on the screen.
- Improved voice and data connectivity.
- Calendar settings have been improved for a better user experience.
- Improved reliability and connectivity of Back Up Assistant Plus & Visual Voicemail.
- Mobile Hotspot data connectivity has been improved.
- Sling and MOG application preloads have been removed.