Verizon Galaxy Nexus Android 4.2.2 update to begin rolling out today [UPDATED]Alex Wagner - Editorial Director of News and Content
This is a big day for Samsung Galaxy Nexus owners on Verizon, as the big red carrier just announced that the device's Android 4.2.2 update will begin rolling out in phases starting today, March 19. The update will bring with it the new features that are included with Android 4.2, such as Photo Sphere for taking 360 degree panoramic photos, the Gesture Typing keyboard and the ability to place widgets for apps like the Calendar, Clock and Gmail directly onto the device's lock screen.
Verizon's flavor of the Galaxy Nexus is actually the last variant of the device here in the U.S. to receive a bump up to Android 4.2, trailing both the GSM version and Sprint's variant. The good news is that the update has finally arrived, though, and it actually brings the Verizon Galaxy Nexus up to the very latest version of Android that's currently available to consumers. While the Verizon Galaxy Nexus obviously doesn't get updates as quickly as a typical GSM Nexus unit would, it's the only option that Verizon users have if they want a device that runs vanilla Android.
Like most software updates, Verizon says that the Galaxy Nexus's bump up to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean will be rolling out in stages, meaning that not every single GalNex-er will be getting it today. Eager update beavers can try to check for Android 4.2.2 manually by heading into Settings > About Phone > System updates. To keep you entertained until the update hits your Verizon Galaxy Nexus, and to give you an idea of what the new features found in the update look like, you can find Aaron's hands-on video of Android 4.2 on a GSM Galaxy Nexus below. Don't forget to give us a shout once your Verizon Galaxy Nexus gets updated!
UPDATE: Verizon has posted the official changelog for the Galaxy Nexus's Android 4.2.2 update, revealing that it brings the device up to build JDQ39 and is version i515.FK02. The full changelog for the 88.8MB is available below.
- Connect a wireless display adapter to any HDMI-enabled TV to mirror mobile screen.
- Enable wireless display to share movies and YouTube videos.
- Snap Google Street view-style 360 degree panoramic photos.
- Share photo spheres on Google+ or Google Maps.
- Thumbnail icon has been added to the top right corner of the screen.
- Date display area has been updated.
- This will expand to a Quick Access grid. (for example: Bluetooth, GPS, Wi-Fi settings)
- As user places widgets on the home screen, everything else on the screen automatically resizes to make room for the new widget
- Long press the camera key to view the new camera UI and pinch and zoom with two fingers instead of the slider
- Calendar, Gmail and Clock widgets are now available on lock screen
JELLY BEAN AND OTHER DEVICE ENHANCEMENTS
- Enhanced Accessibility
- Enable screen magnification to easily zoom or pan the entire screen
- User can enter full-screen magnification with a triple-tap on the screen
- Widgets automatically resize on user’s Home Screen
- Google Now shortcut has been changed and relocated to bottom of lock screen
- Display useful information when idle or locked
- Show off your photo albums and get the latest news from Google Currents
- A smarter keyboard
- Gesture Typing allows you to glide your finger over the letters you want to type, and lift after each word
- The keyboard can anticipate and predict the next word, so you can finish entire sentences just by selecting suggested words
Via Verizon Wireless