Pebble smartwatch update to firmware v1.9.0 rolling out with new watch face selector and Snake gameAlex Wagner - Deputy Managing Editor, News Desk
Are you one of the lucky folks that've already received a Pebble smartwatch? If so, your non-Pebble-owning brethren are about to get just a bit more jealous of you, as Pebble Technology is now rolling out an update for their wristwear that includes quite a few new goodies. The update will bring the Pebble watch up to firmware version 1.9.0, and one of the most notable additions is a new Snake game. For those folks that like to use their Pebble as, you know, a watch, the update also brings with it some new watch faces, a new watch face interaction, improved Facebook notification support for Android devices and a handful of bug fixes. The full changelog posted by Pebble is as follows:
- New watch-face interaction: Watch-faces have been removed from the main menu and are now accessible by pressing the "BACK" button from the main menu.
- Access the main menu from a watch-face by pressing "SELECT."
- Scroll through different watch faces by pressing "UP" and "DOWN" while inside a watch-face.
- New watch-face selector:
- View a list of installed watch-faces by through the new "Watchfaces" app.
- Navigate to any installed watch-face and press "SELECT" to select a default watch-face.
- Improved Facebook notification support for Android devices.
- New text layout engine.
- Fixed a bug that caused inconsistent backlight behaviour when receiving a notification in the dark.
- Fixed an issue with the Bluetooth Settings menu that caused some device names to appear empty.
- Fixed a bug that caused cancelled outgoing calls to be labelled as "Missed Call."
- Fixed text alignment so that it is now applied past the first line of text.
- Fixed a bug related to airplane mode causing resets in some circumstances.
In order to snag the update, Pebble users can grab their smartphone and click on the "Check for FW Update" option inside the Pebble app. Along with this new update, Pebble recently revealed that it plans to release a watch face software development kit (SDK) during the second week of April, meaning that Pebblers have even more to look forward to next month. As for those of us that don't yet have a Pebble, the company says that it's produced more than 40,000 units to date and that "many more" are on the way, so keep an eye on your inbox if you're still waiting for a unit. How many of you either already have a Pebble or are waiting for your watch to arrive?