featured
featured
PhoneDog Media Exclusive
Download iM5, now available in the App Store and Google Play. iM5 is a PhoneDog Media backed Social Platform to inspire real-life action through the crowdsourcing of ideas. See the video

Phone boxes

Every time that we've looked at any recent market share report on the smartphone world, the top two spots have been occupied by Android and iOS. That's the case again today with IDC's report on worldwide smartphone shipments in the first quarter of 2013, but not everything in the research firm's findings are exactly the same as past reports. 

According to the IDC's latest stats, there were 162.1 million Android devices shipped in Q1 2013, while iOS shipments hit 37.4 million for the quarter. That gives the two platforms 75 percent and 17.3 percent market shares, respectively, meaning that Android and iOS combined for 92.3 percent of all smartphone shipments in the quarter.

Next up on the list is Windows Phone, which managed to surpass BlackBerry in worldwide shipments for the first time in Q1 2013. IDC estimates that there were 7 million Windows Phone shipments in the quarter, which equals a 3.2 percent market share, while BlackBerry's 6.3 million shipments gave it a market share of 2.9 percent. Rounding out the list is Linux with 2.1 million shipments and 1 percent market share, Symbian with 1.2 million shipments and 0.6 percent market share and the "Other" category with 0.1 million device shipments.

While Android and iOS are still dominating the smartphone market, Windows Phone and BlackBerry appear to be in a fairly close race for the bronze medal. That race for third could continue to be pretty tight going forward, as Windows Phone has new Nokia Lumia models like 925 and 928 coming soon as well as that rumored 41-megapixel "EOS," while BlackBerry has the QWERTY-fied Q5 and Q10 coming to market. We're also seeing more big-name apps coming to both platforms, which will help to make the battle for third even more interesting. Between Windows Phone and BlackBerry, which OS do you think has a better shot at getting a firm grip on the third place position in the world of smartphones?

Via IDC


Don't forget to VOTE! Each week, PhoneDog Fans vote for their #1 smartphone in the Official Smartphone Rankings. Vote now and contribute to the industry's most relevant weekly ranking charts




Most popular Videos
Most popular Videos
Most popular Videos

Most popular Reactions
Most popular Reactions
Most popular Reactions

This weeks "People's Choice Rankings" best smartphones
People's Choice Rankings


See all hot devices