Verizon confirms Motorola XOOM 4G LTE update to Android 4.2 Jelly Bean [UPDATED]Alex Wagner - Editorial Director of News and Content
This is turning out to be a pretty exciting day for owners of Verizon's Motorola XOOM 4G LTE. Not longer after we learned that Motorola was prepping an update soak test for the device, Verizon has revealed that its aging XOOM will soon receive an update to Android 4.2 Jelly Bean.
The update will bump the Verizon XOOM up to software build JZO54M and brings with it the usual assortment of goodies involved when moving from Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Bean. That includes Google Now, expandable notifications and improved Voice Search. The full changelog for the update is as follows:
- Google Now displays relevant information before you even ask for it: today’s weather, how much traffic to expect, when the next train will arrive as you are standing on a train platform, or your favorite team’s score.
- Take action directly from the notification shade, such as emailing attendees of your meeting. Notifications are expandable to display deeper detail.
DEVICE IMPROVEMENTS AND FIXES
- Voice Search speed has been improved
- Keyboard adapts over time and predicts user’s next word
- Settings application has been revised for clearer options
- “Accounts & Sync” has been moved from the Personal group to an independent group called “Accounts”
- Enhancements to modem stability to improve data connectivity
- Search Option has been added in YouTube Application
Two important details that Verizon hasn't revealed are the update's size and when it'll begin rolling out to the public. Anyone that's still rocking a Verizon XOOM can manually check for the update by heading on in to Settings > About tablet > System updates, though, so you XOOM folk can keep checking to try and snag your helping of Jelly Bean as soon as it becomes available.
Verizon's Motorola XOOM certainly isn't the freshest tablet on the block, but it's good to see both companies showing some love to the original Honeycomb tablet by bringing it up to Jelly Bean. What's even better is that the update bumps the XOOM up to Android 4.2, not Android 4.1, so anyone that's still using the Verizon XOOM is definitely being rewarded for their loyalty. Do you or someone you know still have a Verizon XOOM laying around?
UPDATE: Verizon has updated its support documents to show that this update will actually bring the XOOM up to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean, not Android 4.2.