Heads up, Nokia Lumia owners, because you've got a pretty major update headed your way. Nokia today announced that the rollout of its Lumia Amber update for Windows Phone 8 devices is starting now. The update brings with it quite a few new features, including several camera-related enhancements. Here are the goodies that Lumia folk can expect to receive once their phone has been Ambered:
- Improved image processing: Brings better noise reduction, color reproduction, exposure control and autofocus to every Lumia model. Lumia 920 owners can also tweak their phone's ISO from 800 to 3200 for improved low-light shooting.
- Nokia Smart Camera app: Gives users new ways to take photos, including Best Shot for selecting the best photo from a batch of 10 as well as Action Shot, which can combine several images of a person in motion into a single photo
- Nokia Pro Camera: Originally launched with the Lumia 1020, this app will now be available to the Lumia 920, 925 and 928, bringing with it the ability to fine-tune the camera's shutter speed, ISO, white balance and more
- Nokia Glance Screen: This feature activates a clock on the Lumia's display when the device is inactive and also includes low battery and silent mode indicators. Nokia says that Glance Screen won't be available on the Lumia 520 or 625 due to their smaller display memory.
- Flip to silence and double-tap to unlock: Exactly what they sound like. Flip to silence allows users to flip their phone face down to mute an incoming call, while double-tap to unlock lets users wake their phone by double-tapping its display rather than pressing the lock button.
- Storage Check: Shows users what is using their device's internal memory so that they can easily clear some space if necessary
- Faster map updates: Enables quicker HERE Maps updates by only downloading new road information and other features rather than repeatedly installing entire countries
- Other enhancements found in Microsoft's latest WP8 update: Includes FM radio, Xbox Music and Internet Explorer improvements and more
Nokia says that the Lumia Amber update is now making its way to the Lumia 820 and Lumia 920 in select countries as well as the Lumia 521, Lumia 810 and Lumia 928 in the U.S. The update is expected to reach all Lumia 520, 620, 720, 820 and 920 models by the time that September wraps up. To check for the update manually, Lumia owners can grab their device and head on in to Settings, then select Phone Update.
As you could probably tell by that list of features up there, the Lumia Amber update is a big deal for Nokia's Windows Phone 8 hardware. Not only does it include a number of camera enhancements, it also includes some big tweaks that ought to improve the overall usability of the WP8 Lumia range. If you've got an eligible Lumia device, this is something that you'll want to keep an eye out for in the coming days and weeks. A brief video demonstrating the update process on a Nokia Lumia device is available below to help you prepare for your Amber-fication.
Via Nokia Conversations (1), (2)