BlackBerry 10.2 update to begin rolling out this weekAlex Wagner - Deputy Managing Editor, News Desk
After initially announcing BlackBerry 10.2 alongside its new Z30 phablet, BlackBerry today revealed that owners of other BB10 hardware will soon be able to sink their teeth into its latest software update. Starting this week, BlackBerry 10 users in Africa, Asia Pacific, Canada, Europe, and the Middle East should begin seeing BlackBerry 10.2 updates on their devices. As is usually the case with software updates, though, exact timing will vary between carriers and regions.
- Priority Hub: Learns which conversations are important to the user and places them in a special Hub at the top of the inbox.
- BBM Video with Natural Sound: BBM Video and BBM Voice conversations conducted between BlackBerry 10 smartphones will feature a more natural, realistic sound.
- Instant previews of BBM, SMS and email: Previews of incoming BBM, SMS and email messages will appear in any app. Users can instantly respond to BBM and SMS messages or jump into the BlackBerry Hub to answer email.
- Keyboard: Improvements to the BlackBerry 10 keyboard on the Z10 and Z30 include improved audio feedback with special tones for buttons like backspace and shift.
- Copy and paste: Better copy and paste support with more precise cursor control and direct sharing with BBM, Facebook and Twitter.
- Faster and easier sharing: BlackBerry 10.2 learns who a user shares content with most and, when he or she decides to share a new piece of content, the OS will provide suggestions on who to share with and how to share based on what the user has done in the past.
- Lock screen notifications: Notifications on the BlackBerry 10.2 lock screen can now display previews of incoming email, BBM, texts and other alerts. Users can configure which accounts will be displayed on the lock screen.
- Reply Now: Enables users to respond to incoming phone calls with a BBM, SMS or email message. Automated responses are included, though users can also set up their own messages.
- Calendar improvements: BlackBerry 10 calendar includes an "I'm running late" feature that allows users to send a message to meeting participates to let them know that they're running late. Calendar also includes an improved UI that BlackBerry says will make it easier to add events.