Sprint Moto X receiving Android 4.4 KitKat update todayAlex Wagner - Editorial Director of News and Content
There's some good news today for Sprint Moto X owners that've grown hungry for some KitKat after watching their compatriots on other carriers receive their own Android 4.4 updates. Sprint has updated its Moto X support site to show that the device's update to KitKat is being released today, Dec. 12, complete with the same improvements that've been doled out to other Moto X variants. That includes an improved phone dialer app, improvements to the camera's focus and exposure and more. Here's Sprint's full changelog:
- Android 4.4, KitKat, is the latest release of the Android platform. KitKat includes enhancements such as restyled status and navigation bars, a new full-screen mode, color emoji support, improved closed captioning support, stronger security, smarter power use, and more tools and capabilities for better app development.
- Improved Phone Dialer app with the ability to look up contacts directly from the dial pad, see and tap frequent contacts, and search your corporate directory easily.
- Incorporated a new version of Google Hangouts that supports integrated SMS/MMS messaging. Hangouts can be set as the default SMS app under Settings>Wireless>Default SMS app.
- NFC Host Card Emulation support to improve experiences such as contactless payments, loyalty plans, transit passes, card access and more.
- Camera - Focus and exposure: Enhanced the "touch to focus" option with a new circular, on screen control that can be dragged by your finger around the viewfinder to adjust a photo's focus and exposure.
- Gallery - Photo editing: Added new photo editing options to the Gallery app including new filter effects, draw on your photos, advanced cropping, and adjustments to color, exposure, contrast and more.
- Touchless Control - "Find my phone": Added a new "Find my phone" command to Touchless Control. Just say "OK, Google Now-find my phone" and your Moto X will ring loudly to let you know where it's hiding when you've misplaced it nearby.
Sprint says that the update will bump its Moto X up to software version 13.11.3Q2.X-69-3-8. This update definitely took a little longer to roll out to Sprint Moto X'ers than it did for those users on other carriers, but hey, all that matters now is that it's finally here. If you're rocking a Sprint Moto X, be sure to keep an eye out for an update alert. If you're really jonesing for some KitKat for breakfast, you can also check for the update manually by going into Settings > About phone > System updates.