Sprint Galaxy Note 3 receiving Android 4.4.2 update today [UPDATED]Alex Wagner - Editorial Director of News and Content
Sprint's been pretty on the ball when it comes to KitKat updates for its flagship devices, getting out Android 4.4 updates for both its HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S 4 before its competitors. Now it looks like Sprint has won another race to KitKat by pushing out an Android 4.4.2 update to another major smartphone.
Owners of the Sprint version of the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 report that their update to KitKat is now rolling out, and Sprint's support page for the phablet shows that the push is indeed kicking off today. The update brings the Note 3 up to software version N900PVPUCNAB and includes a bump up to Android 4.4.2 as well as the removal of the Prevention Pop-up.
Considering that the Galaxy Note 3 is one of Samsung's biggest smartphones, both literally and figuratively, it's no surprise that the phablet is getting bumped up to KitKat. What is interesting is that Sprint is pushing the update to its Note 3 before the other big U.S. carriers, as CDMA operators have been known to take longer to update their devices than their GSM counterparts. It's great to see Sprint being speedy with its updates as of late, though, and I'm sure that its subscribers are pretty happy about the whole situation as well.
If you're rocking a Sprint Galaxy Note 3 and haven't yet received your own piece of KitKat, you can check for the update manually by heading into Apps > Settings > General > System Update > Update.
UPDATE: Samsung has posted a more detailed changelog for the Sprint Galaxy Note 3's KitKat update:
- OS upgrade to Android 4.4.2 (KitKat)
- New Lock Screen Access
- Media Controls - full-screen album art and media controls when listening to music
- Camera Shortcut - access the Camera application right from the lock screen
- SMS App Chooser - select a default application for sending and receiving SMS text messages
- Restyled Status and Navigation Bars - status and navigation bars are translucent and can sit on top of apps, along with simplified status bar icons
- Consolidated Location Settings - location services are integrated and more detailed by new Location menu
- Expanded Emoji Icons
- Wireless Printing – supports printing over Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- Prevention Information pop-up message is suppressed.